511 people are interested
Card Writing Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Sending Sunshine
Please visit the new page to apply.
511 people are interested
A brief summary of how our volunteering program works is an individual commits to sending in a certain amount of cards on our website. There isn't a deadline and you can write the cards at your own pace. When you finish, you mail your cards to our PO box and we will read them and count the number of cards. A signed confirmation letter is then emailed to you to show to your guidance counselor/teacher.
- Signing up:
The first thing to do is to sign up on our website as a volunteer card writer here: https://www. sendingsunshine.ca/volunteer- opportunities The form asks for an email address and we will email the confirmation letter to this address. Please read the form carefully!
- Writing the cards: We have a few guidelines up on our website here https://www. sendingsunshine.ca/card- guidelines for future reference. Basically we are looking for something that can be a keepsake for residents that they can display in their room and re-read if they wish. Students can buy cards or make cards themselves, it is up to you! However, the message inside the card must be handwritten. If you choose to make a card it doesn't have to be fancy, but we do expect you to put effort and care into each card. You can write about your hobbies, interests or share some inspiration.
- Mailing the cards: Students can mail the cards to our PO box (PO Box 45017 RPO Port Credit; Mississauga, ON L5G 4S7). Since this is a Canada Post PO box, the cards have to be sent through Canada Post. If you can, please package all the cards together in one large envelope/box.
- Receiving confirmation: When we receive the cards, we will read through each one and count up the total. A signed confirmation letter will be sent to the email address provided during sign-up. We grant students 30 minutes per card and will indicate the total number of hours earned on the signed confirmation letter. If you require a specific form to be signed or hours to be confirmed using a website such as Hour Republic, we ask that you reply to the confirmation email with the specific form attached and we will be more than happy to fill it out!
About Sending Sunshine
PO Box 45017 RPO Port Credit, Mississauga, Ontario L5G4S7, CA
To connect seniors living in Canada with people from around the globe through the power of the written word, while promoting volunteerism among youth.
Sending Sunshines is a registered charity that collects and distributes cards to seniors living in long-term care and independently in the community. Anyone in Canada can send a card to a senior experiencing loneliness!
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
October 25, 2023
- Visual Arts
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Must be at least 13
- Each card you send in to Sending Sunshine is equal to 30 minutes of volunteering hours.