DONATE TO THIS
7 people are interested
Thrift Retail Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: DAKIN PIONEER VALLEY HUMANE SOCIETYINC
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
7 people are interested
Objective: Join a team of dedicated people who work together to support Home Again , the Shop at Dakin. Home Again is Dakin’s thrift shop, filled with lots of items for pets and people. All items sold generate funds to sustain Dakin’s programs.
Direct Supervision/Reports to: Media Relations & Development Specialist
Dakin’s Guiding Principles:
- Our Mission: Dakin Humane Society delivers effective, innovative services that improve the lives of animals in need and the people who care about them.
- Our Foundational Belief: We believe people are good and will make good decisions for animals when they are treated with kindness and understanding, and when they have enough information and resources.
- Our Core Values: Integrity, Compassion and Innovation
- Help other thrift volunteers with set-up or breakdown tasks, depending on your shift
- Work with other thrift volunteers to provide ideal customer service:
- Give customers a friendly greeting
- Issue a coupon, if applicable
- Offer to help them find items
- If they need to use a carriage to take many, heavy or large items to their car, accompany them and return the carriage inside after they load up their car
- Transact purchases with customers who will be using either cash or credit (the latter is transacted using an iPad/Square combination, which is easy and will be taught)
- Ensuring customers are socially distancing, wearing masks in the building (if that’s being enforced)
- Ensure that customers not wander off to see animals or other parts of the building
- Meets all Dakin Humane Society "Essential Volunteer Capabilities"
- Ability to use Vicnet to access shift schedule
- Ability to use Volgistics to sign in/punch out when working on-site
- Must find another thrift volunteer to take your shift if you can’t work
- Retail experience not required. Will train.
- Occasional lifting of bulky or heavy items, which is made easier with teamwork or by borrowing Dakin dollies if needed
- 2 shifts/month minimum (Shifts: 9:30am-12:30pm or 12:30pm-3:30pm on Saturday) or other projects as needed
- Minimum six month commitment
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Six yearly meetings conducted on Zoom (attendance not mandatory, but encouraged)
- Help people find the perfect item for themselves or their pet while also supporting Dakin’s programs and services
- Interact with a variety of animal-loving people
- Gain valuable retail experience to enhance possible future endeavors
09:30 AM to 12:30 PM
12:30 PM to 03:30 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About DAKIN PIONEER VALLEY HUMANE SOCIETYINC
171 UNION ST, SPRINGFIELD, MA 01105, US
Our Mission Dakin Humane Society delivers effective, innovative services that improve the lives of animals in need and the people who care about them.
Dakin's vision is a world where services that support the human-animal bond are accessible to all and companion animals are no longer vulnerable. Dakin is a 501 (c) (3) community-supported animal welfare organization that provides shelter, medical care, spay/neuter services, and pet food aid for more than 20,000 animals and people each year. Since its inception in 1969, Dakin has become one of the most recognized nonprofit organizations in the Pioneer Valley and a national leader in animal welfare. The foundation of our work are our values. We believe people are good and will make good decisions for animals when they are treated with kindness and understanding, and when they have enough information and resources. These include acting with Integrity by holding ourselves to the highest standards of transparency, honesty, and respect in our words and actions. Acting with compassion - We serve all people and animals with open hearts and open minds. This involves listening carefully to the challenges of others, placing ourselves in the shoes (and paws) of those connected to us and believing in the inherent good of people. Acting on innovation by seeking new ideas and new ways of doing things, we are adaptable, and we enjoy building creative solutions in a sustainable way.
171 Union StreetSpringfield, MA 01105
July 7, 2022
- Customer Service
- Data Entry
- Retail / Sales
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 shifts/month minimum (Shifts: 9:30am-12:30pm or 12:30pm-3:30pm on Saturday) or other projects as needed Minimum six month commitment