1 person is interested
Virtual Refugee Youth Soccer Coach
1 person is interested
L.A.C.E.S. or Life and Change Experienced thru Sports, is a non-profit organization that leverages the power of sport to mentor at-risk refugee youth who have recently resettled in the greater Washington, D.C. area. We are currently seeking volunteers and coaches for our fall soccer season.
L.A.C.E.S. Fall 2021 Virtual Programs:
1. One-on-one soccer coaching with an individual or small group (3 or less) of interested youth. This program's goal is to keep the youth engaged, connecting them with someone who shares their interests and passions for soccer and encouraging them to stay active and reach their soccer goals.
- How would it work: We would connect you with a refugee child eager to exercise and work on their soccer skills. Once partnered with your youth, you would be in charge of their exercise/soccer program. You would help them set goals and work with them to reach those goals.
- Time commitment: You and your partnered child would set up a meeting frequency and time that best fits your schedules. The duration of your one-on-one coaching (e.g. 8 weeks, 10 weeks, etc...) will give you the opportunity to make a deeper impact in a child's life while having the flexibility of managing your volunteer time around your schedule.
- L.A.C.E.S' role: Connecting you with a mentee or mentees, providing the youth with soccer equipment (if needed), organizing access to a virtual zoom meeting space and sharing our repertoire of exercises which could be modified for virtual learning (if desired by coach).
2. Monthly Soccer Clinics. This program's goal is to offer refugee youth an extracurricular activity where volunteers connect over the love of soccer with a group of 15 refugee youth.
- How would it work: For each monthly session we would need a total of 3 coaches with three different roles.
o 1 spotlight coach - Demonstrates the exercises and does all exercises along with the youth.
o 1 caller coach - Describes the exercises to the youth and offers corrections and encouragement to the participants.
o 1 monitoring coach - Assists the caller by monitoring and observing the participants and communicating what they see for the caller to use.
For more information on the positions and the application process, please contact email@example.com
If either or both of these opportunities is of interest to you, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
6930 Carroll Avenue, Suite 820, Takoma Park, MD 20912, US
Raise up positive role models in the world through the avenue of sports. Our mission is to develop mentor driven sports leagues for children in need of healing.
We work to create a sustainable, replicable model of community development using sports as a tool to reach at-risk youth and empower their local communities. Our work is focused on promoting:
Local leadership: We believe that each community know the best way to address the social issues that our children face. Through ongoing training, we empower locals to create their own change.
Community Engagemen: L.A.C.E.S. partners with the community to identify the most vulnerable children. All the coaches must live in the communities where they operate. Their engagement has resulted in families fostering children who live on the street, schools providing scholarships to children cannot afford it and the creation of platforms to address social issues such as Ebola.
Family Support: Our coaches meet with the children’s parents individually, as to partner together to make the greatest impact
In Liberia L.A.C.E.S. has been working with 890 children, 180 coaches, 20 Liberian staff and 5 communities.
In The US: Summer of 2016 L.A.C.E.S. will be hosting a Refugee Youth Soccer Camp in the greater Washington D.C. area, for 45 refugee youth ages 9-14. L.A.C.E.S. will expand it's program activitiy in the fall of 2016.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
October 19, 2021
- Physical Education
- Community Outreach
- Cross-cultural Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- Please specify volunteer availability in application