Trellis Pension and Retirement Rights Administrative Volunteer
Trellis Pension and Retirement Rights is a program of Trellis. We are staffed by experienced pension lawyers and pension counselors who help individuals understand their rights under pension law and claim the retirement income benefits they have earned.
Many clients are entitled to retirement benefits that they have not claimed simply because they are unable to locate their benefits. This is because they have difficulty tracking down their old employer or are unable to identify the entity that is now responsible for administering the benefit. We want to identify a volunteer who can pull telephone messages off the phone line and call folks back to ask a series of set questions to determine if our attorneys can help locate their retirement benefits.
- Speak with clients who are having difficulties locating their retirement benefits Gather any information clients have regarding their retirement benefits, including copies of any relevant documents
- Conduct internet research to learn what happened to the client’s former employer (e.g., company was bought by another company; company has a new name; company merged with another company; company closed a particular office, etc.)
- Keep client updated regarding the status of their case, if necessary
- Document steps taken to find pension plan in our case management system
- Sensitivity to the needs of older adults, person with disabilities, and other diverse populations; many clients who call have just lost a spouse or loved one and are frustrated with the system. An oversized portion of empathy is helpful to reassure these individuals that we care about their situation.
- Desire to assist individuals obtain the retirement benefits that they have earned
- Ability to work independently and make appropriate decisions as required
- Effective communication skills and comfort working with computers and conducting online research
- Compliance with agency’s non-conflict of interest, confidentiality, and other policies
- Onboard virtually with Pension and Retirement Rights staff regarding the basics of pension benefits and the steps to take in locating a lost retirement benefit
- Prospective volunteers do not need extensive experience with or knowledge of pensions; training will be provided
- Receive ongoing trainings, supervision, and shadow support visits
- Be a vital team member and directly impact the lives of older adults and caregivers
- Sharpen your customer service phone skills
- Share your knowledge with individuals who truly appreciate it
- Develop a spectrum of marketable skills while receiving ongoing support and education
- Expand your social network and increase your professional development opportunities
1265 Grey Fox Road, Suite 2, Arden Hills, MN 55112, US
Trellis helps people optimize well-being as they age.
Trellis is a nonprofit organization that provides services, information and connections that help people age well. We are innovators in the field of aging, and are working to offer and create new products, services and relationships to meet the changing needs of a growing population of older adults. We are committed to serving our aging communities with equity and inclusivity. In our role as the designated Area Agency on Aging for the Twin Cities metro area, we serve individuals and organizations in Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington counties. Many of Trellis’ initiatives and activities have a broader geographic reach, across the state of Minnesota and, in some cases, across the nation.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
September 16, 2021
- Legal (General)
- Employment Law
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
- Data Entry
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Trellis offices are open Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. Currently, all work is done virtually. Trellis asks volunteers for a minimum of 4 hours per month and a minimum commitment of one year to the program.
- Staff attorneys work virtually, and volunteers work under the direct supervision of the staff attorneys. For More Information: Please contact the Trellis Pension and Retirement Rights Project Director at 651-251-5768, firstname.lastname@example.org