A youth mentor for the U.S Dream Academy aids in helping the students in our after-school program. The mentor will assist in our three pillars: Dream, Character and Skill building. The mentor will work closely with the director to develop and oversee a 4-6 week program for students. This position is flexible in nature and can be applicable to many majors and specialities. For example, sessions that cover topics like cooking, dance, art, technology, foreign language, health, education etc. are all needed. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have a pleasant attitude;
- Ability to communicate effectively with both children and adults;
- Understand issues surrounding incarceration and the impact on families;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/projects to meet simultaneous deadlines; and
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office applications, database, and spreadsheet software, internet and social media applications.
- Must be passionate about youth development; and support and work with youth in high risk communities and their families.
- Must have personal transportation with non-suspended driver’s license. (not applicable for virtual position)
- Must have experience working with pre-teens and/ or teens.
- Flexible and able to work the hours necessary to complete all assignments according to agreed upon timelines; and can demonstrate leadership ability when an assignment or deliverable needs to be renegotiated.
- Organized, efficient, and able to successfully function in a fast paced and demanding work environment supporting multiple key staff.
- Exceptional ability to write clearly, effectively, and informatively; demonstrating accuracy and thoroughness.
- Current University of Utah student
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA
- Pass a background check
- Understand and implement best practices as they pertain to working with youth
- Develop, implement, and execute a successful and engaging virtual program
- Better understand the academic and emotional hardships children who live in communities with high rates of crime experience
- Learn best practices as they pertain to education and implementing activities/lessons
- Develop excellent written and verbal communication
- Improve skills by working with Microsoft Office, Microsoft powerpoint, Zoom, Kahoot!, Canva, and Mighty Networks
- Improve skills in organization, public-speaking, adaptability and team work
About U.S Dream Academy
Endeavor Hall Charter School, 2614, West Valley City, UT 84119, US
The U.S. Dream Academy is dedicated to serving under-supported youth who may be struggling academically, have a family with a history of incarceration, or are living in a community with a high rate of crime. We place a high value on mentors, and the contribution our community partners and volunteers play. We also facilitate a number of interns in various programs from universities close by.
The US Dream Academy was established to provide a safe, loving, and constructive after-school learning environment for under supported children and youth.
2614 Decker Lake LnWest Valley City, UT 84119
September 16, 2021
- Youth Services
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Monday - Thursday 3:00pm - 6:00pm (flexible)
- Consistency is key in this role