Volunteer Creative Writing Instructor
Schedule: Weekly Tuesday, Thursday
Two Sessions per day
Each Session Hours: 2
Total Hours: 4
The part-time creative writing instructor engages youth in poetry, writing, and publishing. Youth learn how to perfect their art in writing, elude emotion through poetry, and gain an understanding of the processes required to publish their work.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Form words into verses in order to dramatically express emotion.
- Understand how to simplify lengthier stories or condense them into poetry.
- Choose subject matter and perform some degree of research.
- Draw from personal experiences to create poetry or creative writing series to help students engage in this art form.
- Understand how to write copies for publishing companies and advertising agencies.
- Understand how to write verses or sentiments for greeting cards.
- Create poetry at open-mic nights or other events that showcase the participants' work.
- Brainstorm for ideas with youth between the age of 10-17.
- Understand and be able to teach you to write different types of poetry verse, including odes, haikus, limericks, free verse, blank verse, narratives, doggerel, enjambment, epitaphs, allegory, and cacophony.
- Select different types of rhythm, including iambic pentameter or free verse.
- Share on former and contemporary celebrated poets for reference.
- Understand how to submit poetry to publishing companies.
- Refer to various types of literature, books, and poetry for youth the read.
- Utilize a variety of techniques in poetry and other writing capabilities including metaphors, similes, and onomatopoeia.
- Experiment with different techniques including repetition, meter, and rhyme.
- Utilize different structures including line, couplet, strophe, and stanza.
- Because youth participants will have the opportunity to publish their own work, volunteers must sign a non-disclosure and use form.
About FATE GROUP
9175 North 76th Street, Milwaukee, WI 53223, US
Fashion, Art, and Teen Entertainment's (F.AT.E.) mission is to provide youth the outlet to express themselves: it elicits creativity; it recognizes their potential; it provides them with the venue to showcase their talents. Fashion, Art, and Teen Entertainment present teens with the opportunity to realize their fate: what they’re destined to be.
Fashion, Art, and Teen Entertainment Teen Empowerment Group (F.AT.E.) provides activities related to the arts for youth in the Greater Milwaukee area between the ages of 10-17 years old. F.A.T.E. provides a place where youth (middle/high school) will have the chance to improve and develop their talents. The goal of the group is to provide youth who are seeking an outlet that offers a positive support system which potentially could help avoid pitfalls that can disrupt their lives To accomplish this goal, young people must be provided a caring, inclusive environment that promotes their best efforts and reinforces personal aspects in their talent and in their art.
The objectives are skill development, empowerment/ownership, and showcasing of talents. The desired outcome is that this interaction will help youth foster a more positive attitude about their future and its prospects. By having a better understanding of how to properly elevate and leverage their talent, youth will feel empowered to confidently pursue their dreams.
9175 North 76th StreetMilwaukee, WI 53223
September 15, 2021
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Two Sessions per day Each Session Hours: 2 Total Hours: 4