Technical Mentor - Garland TX
Technical Mentor - Engineering Focused
TSoG is seeking an engineer to join our Technical Mentor (TM) team. This volunteer, specifically, will serve as a TM to support a fully funded after-school program with an established high school chapter. TM's will lead teams of students to navigate full project management, accept project challenges, and network with other TM's to help their team find solutions, develop prototypes, and serve as a mentor to top student leaders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to manage multiple teams while working on projects + ensure all projects are moving forward; proactively addresses potential bottlenecks to avoid ambiguity and hurdles
- Develop an understanding of the team's needs and capabilities, and establish team schedules and help allocate resources
- Engage in proactive and collaborative internal TSoG communication with other TSoG volunteers
- Help students anticipate and solve potential hurdles to timelines and deliverables
- Manage, delegate, or fulfill multiple tasks and deadlines at one time using efficient processes and the project management tools provided
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of all organization procedures and code of conduct
Attend a weekly session with the student team - 1.5 hours
Tag-up Meetings with fellow TM's and TSoG Leadership - 30 minutes
Periodic volunteer training - 30-60 minutes when offered
Meeting planning time - 1 hour
Expected hourly commitment - 3-5 hours/weekly
The Shoulders of Giants, Inc. is a nonprofit organization registered under Internal Revenue Code 501(c)(3) (public charity). As such, all donations made to the organization are tax-deductible. Additionally, The Shoulders of Giants is committed to transparency in all of our operations and maintains a Gold / Platinum Rating on Guidestar. Financial records, including forms 990 filed for all previous fiscal years, are publicly accessed through that profile.
About The Shoulders of Giants, Inc.
4101 McEwen Road, Suite 530, DALLAS, TX 75244, US
The Shoulders of Giants, Inc. (TSoG), a Dallas-based nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation, was founded in 2013 on the belief that world-class science education should be available to all students of all ages. Since its inception, TSoG has provided opportunities for thousands of students across North Texas to experience science first-hand and broaden their horizons through the guidance of Dr. Steven J. Foland, an accomplished engineer, and educator.
Statement of Need
For many students, there exists a gap between their aspirations to pursue STEM careers and their preparedness for university-level STEM rigor. Knowing how to fill those gaps is industry-specific and out-of-scope for most high school academic environments. By linking project-based learning to industry pathways, we help students address two key questions: "What do I need to learn?" and "Why do I need to learn this?"
STEM mentorship provided by The Shoulders of Giants can help students grow toward the following educational objectives:
- Technical Confidence - By working on the many cross-disciplinary projects that TSoG has to offer, students gain many valuable, practical skills they can be proud of.
- Lifelong Learning - By engaging with passionate technical professionals, students are exposed to the reality that learning is a lifetime commitment - not something that ends upon graduation.
- Career Satisfaction - By giving students experience on technical pathways, we empower them to make more informed decisions about their future careers.
- Sense of Service - By providing projects designed to provide tangible benefits to others, we encourage students to view STEM fields as more than just career paths - they are also opportunities to use our skills to give back.
Multiple locations Garland, TX 75044
September 13, 2021
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Background Check
- Must be at least 20
- Expected commitment - 3-5 hours/weekly