29 people are interested
Greeter: Welcome Visitors to the MN African American Heritage Museum and Gallery
ORGANIZATION: MINNESOTA AFRICAN AMERICAN HERITAGE MUSEUM AND GALLERY
Please visit the new page to apply.
29 people are interested
Volunteers are essential to carrying out the mission and programs of the museum!
We're committed to doing our part to protect the community. In compliance with the State of Minnesota's COVID-19 restrictions and the CDC's guidance, the Minnesota African American Heritage Museum and Gallery has implemented COVID-19 procedures including requiring masks inside the museum.
We are looking for long-term volunteers who can act as greeters to welcome visitors into the museum. Each shift will be short, only 2 hours (4 at most), but we would love to have a consistent, reliable team of volunteers to support this role. It would be ideal if you could commit to at least 1-2 shifts a week, but we are happy to have you and scheduling can be flexible. Saturdays are available 10am-1pm. Weekly, Biweekly, Monthly.
The work would involve sitting at a desk in the entrance area, asking guests to sign in and tracking the attendance for the duration of the shift. Doing tours/learning MN history to do tours - tour guide.
- afternoon / 01:00 PM to 03:00 PM
- afternoon / 01:00 PM to 05:00 PM
- afternoon / 03:00 PM to 05:00 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About MINNESOTA AFRICAN AMERICAN HERITAGE MUSEUM AND GALLERY
1256 Penn Ave North, MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55411, US
The Minnesota African American Heritage Museum and Gallery (MAAHMG) preserves, documents and highlights the achievements, contributions and experiences of African Americans in Minnesota. This mission is carried out through exhibits, programs and events that educate and inform the public about the history, culture, and art of African Americans in Minnesota. Opened in 2018, the museum is also a community gathering place where people meet and celebrate Black history. The museum is free and accessible to all. By joining MAAHMG, you become a supporter of one of the Twin Cities’ most exciting museums. Your assistance allows us to present amazing exhibitions and thought provoking educational programming. Supporters like you are essential in helping us to preserve and share the history of African Americans in Minnesota.
MAAHMG started as an entirely volunteer run project, and was built keeping in mind that there was a gap amongst the museum community with dedicated representation of MN African-Americans, highlighting their experiences and contributions within the greater Minnesota community. With much work and community effort, the Minnesota African American Heritage Museum & Gallery was founded.
- We offer scheduled tours to K-12, college and graduate students, and group tours to organizations.
- MAAHMG also hosts a Children's Reading Circle to promote literacy where MN local authors, storytellers and community members read to kids. (currently virtual)
- Co-curated the Black Lives Matter mural in Minneapolis on Plymouth Avenue N., in July 2020, involving 16 local artists.
- MAAHMG developed a Youth Curator Program, where high school students learned about research, writing, history and art to curate a history and art exhibition focusing on racial justice. This program hopes to peak their interest in exploring careers in the museum field.
- Hosted Black Fashion Week MN, and the free outdoor public art exhibit presented by Save the Boards, Memorialize the Movement, a community event to remember and reflect on the emotions during the uprising through these murals that express our collective voices fighting for racial justice.
- Local MN artists have shared poetry, spoken word, singing, dramatic reading or comedy improv at MAAHMG open mics.
1256 North Penn AvenueMinneapolis, MN 55411
October 17, 2023
- Literacy / Reading
- Customer Service
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 18
- We are looking for long-term volunteers who can act as greeters to welcome visitors into the museum. Each shift will be short, only 2 hours (4 at most), but we would love to have a consistent, reliable team of volunteers to support this role.
- Come as you are! Let us know what hours and types of shifts you're available for. We're flexible and appreciate your show-up game. The more consistent, the better.