13 people are interested
Chemistry Lab Solution Specialist
ORGANIZATION: Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
Please visit the new page to apply.
13 people are interested
Position Title: Volunteer Chemistry Lab Solution Specialist
Department: Museum Education
Reports To: Chemistry Lab Coordinator & Turbine Hall Assistant Manager Location: OMSI - Water Ave
P OSITION S UMMARY : Visitors to the OMSI Chemistry Lab wear goggles and perform hands-on, wet chemistry experiments, view activities, and observe chemistry demonstrations. Volunteers who are comfortable with a rotating content schedule will enjoy this position!
E SSENTIAL D UTIES AND R ESPONSIBILITIES :
- Interact with visitors to help them explore and engage with Chemistry Lab experiments and activities
- Prepare and maintain laboratory experiments, including the appearance and functionality of experiment stations
- Present various chemistry demonstrations, depending on comfort level, to a diverse audience of backgrounds and ages [Activity examples include Rocket Launch, Elephant Toothpaste, and Sugar Flares]
- Assist with other duties as assigned by Chemistry Lab Educators
K NOWLEDGE AND S KILLS :
- Passion for chemistry and committed to sharing accurate scientific information ● Able to listen and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and age levels
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative
- Dependable, punctual, communicative, and able to commit to a regular schedule ● Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures
S CHEDULE AND S UPPORT :
- Commitment to a regular weekly or biweekly schedule (either morning or afternoon).
- Attend the following trainings or classes provided by OMSI:
○ Volunteer Orientation & Emergency Protocols
○ Mandatory Reporter Training
○ Hazardous Communication Training
V OLUNTEER B ENEFITS :
- Training opportunities and a lifelong learning experience
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum exhibits and attractions based on availability
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service ● Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and onsite eateries
- The opportunity to connect with new people and learn more about OMSI
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.
All are welcome at OMSI.
OMSI is committed to recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining individuals from a diverse candidate pool regardless of race, age, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, citizenship status, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion guide our process as we build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills so that we can better reflect and serve our community. We strongly invite applications from candidates who share our commitment to diversity.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
August 11, 2022
- General Education
- Child Development