11 people are interested
Early Childhood Engagement Play Champion
ORGANIZATION: Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
Please visit the new page to apply.
11 people are interested
P OSITION T ITLE : Early Childhood Engagement Play Champion
R EPORTS T O : Early Childhood Education Coordinator and Manager
D EPARTMENT : Museum Education L
OCATION : OMSI Water Ave site
P OSITION S UMMARY : Young children (ages birth-8) are able to learn and explore in fun, educational settings in places like OMSI’s Science Playground, the Curium and sometimes special exhibits! Volunteers in all of these spaces assist caregivers and children in experiencing the activities and exhibits, and assist staff in maintaining the space to ensure the safety of our youngest visitors and their families.
E SSENTIAL D UTIES AND R ESPONSIBILITIES :
- Connect with a wide age range of visitors in a variety of spaces by facilitating activities and exhibits and modelling age-appropriate science process skills.
- Share accurate science and museum information with guests. ● Ensure a safe and secure environment for visitors by assisting caregivers in supervision of children, including observation of consistent rules and limits.
- Present demonstrations such as bubbles, leading story time, etc., depending on assigned space.
- Maintain ongoing safety and cleanliness procedures, which includes bending and stooping at times.
K NOWLEDGE AND S KILLS :
- Strong communication, customer service, and problem-solving skills. ● Interest and/or experience in early childhood education and child development.
- Ability to learn and model adult-child interactions for positive early learning experiences.
- Dependable, punctual, and willing to commit to a regular schedule. ● Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
S CHEDULE AND S UPPORT :
- Minimum number of hours: 4 hours per week or every other week. ● Attend the following trainings or classes provided by OMSI: ○ Volunteer Orientation
○ COVID-19 Safety Training
○ Mandatory Reporter Training
○ Recognizing & Preventing Harassment Training
○ Position-specific training with ECE staff
V OLUNTEER B ENEFITS :
- Watching the joy on children’s faces and ensuring a safe and welcoming environment for early education exploration
- Training opportunities and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum exhibits and attractions based on availability.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants. ● The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.
All are welcome at OMSI.
OMSI is committed to recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining individuals from a diverse candidate pool regardless of race, age, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, citizenship status, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion guide our process as we build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills so that we can better reflect and serve our community. We strongly invite applications from candidates who share our commitment to diversity.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
August 11, 2022
- General Education
- Math / Science Instruction
- Child Development
- Physical Education
- Reading / Writing
- People Skills