Disaster Health Services Volunteer Deployment Opportunity - Sussex, DE
Disaster Health Services (DHS) Service Associate (SA) is a temporary position assigned to work in person before, during and/or after a disaster event this hurricane/wildfire season. Volunteers in this role provide assistance and healthcare to shelter residents as needed.
· Provide hands on care for shelter clients to include but not limited to assistance with activities of daily living, wound care, incontinence care, assistance with functional needs.
· Provide health education, health assessments and determination if a higher level of care is needed.
· Assist clients to replace medications, durable medical equipment or consumable medical supplies.
· Advocate for client needs with Disaster Health Services supervisor.
· Support maternal and child needs as necessary.
· Complete required virtual self-paced and instructor-led training required for the position (9 hours total).
· Once trained, and upon request, this would be for a consecutive 9-day deployment.
· This role is for those able and interested in deploying outside of our region to other parts of the country that may need support. The path of a given disaster will determine where Red Cross' precise volunteer needs lie. Accepting this position means that:
o You have the interest and ability to travel outside of our region to help with a major disaster.
o You have 9 consecutive days to do so
o You are comfortable in-person (COVID vaccination required)
o You understand, depending on the disaster, that hardships may apply, such as sleeping in a staff shelter.
A current, unencumbered license in at least one of the following professions:
o Registered Nurse (RN)
o Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
o Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN)
o Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)*
o Medical Doctor (MD)
o Doctor of Osteopathy (DO)
o Physician Assistant (PA)
o Nurse Practitioner (NP)
o Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN)
· Minimum 18 years of age
· Valid Driver’s License (required for Divisional and National Deployments)
· Willing and able to volunteer in person in a disaster shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event
· Available to sign up for shifts on consecutive days (shifts may be 8 or 12 hours long)
· Willing to complete 9 hours of virtual self-paced and instructor-led training required for position
· Ability to read, write, and follow verbal and written instructions in English
About American Red Cross - National Capital & Greater Chesapeake Region
4700 Mt. Hope Drive, Baltimore, MD 21215, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether it's one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to a service member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.
Multiple locations Sussex, NJ 07461
September 20, 2021
- First Aid / CPR
- Disaster Relief Care & Shelters
- Data Entry
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4-, 6- 8- or 12- hour shifts. Single shifts acceptable.