2 people are interested
Board of Directors Opening
2 people are interested
The Literacy Council of Middle Tennessee’s mission is to serve the community by providing resources, counseling, and one-on-one tutoring to children, youth, and adults in order to enhance their academic skills in all areas. All services offered by the Literacy Council of Middle Tennessee are free of charge to the individual and their families.
The Board of Directors supports the work of the Literacy Council of Middle Tennessee (LCMT) and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by LCMT’s Executive Director, the Board / Executive Director relationship is a partnership, requiring occasional "hands-on" involvement from each Board Member to ensure that LCMT can fulfill its mission.
LCMT Board Members will consider LCMT a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that LCMT can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, LCMT expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity. In addition, Board Members are expected to actively participate in both planning and executing approximately three fundraising events per year.
Each individual board member is expected to:
* Fully understand the organization’s mission, policies, programs, and needs.
* Prepare for, attend, and conscientiously participate in board meetings.
* Participate fully in one or more committees.
* Serve as active advocate and ambassador for the organization and fully engage in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for the organization to advance its mission.
* Leverage connections, networks, and resources to develop collective action to fully achieve the organization’s mission.
* Serve as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as s/he develops and implements LCMT’s strategic plan.
* Review outcomes and metrics created by LCMT for evaluating its impact, review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
* Approve LCMT’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; be informed of, and meet, all legal and fiduciary duties.
* Assist the Executive Director and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
* Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a true passion for improving literacy rates in Middle Tennessee
* Extensive professional experience with significant leadership accomplishments in business, government, education, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector.
* Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Literacy Council of Middle Tennessee
108 Nokes Drive, Hendersonville, TN 37075, US
To serve the community by providing resources and tutoring to children, youth and adults in order to enhance their academic skills in all areas.
The Literacy Council of Middle Tennessee (LCMT) was founded in the fall of 1983 under the original name The Literacy Council of Sumner County. The Literacy Council is presently serving over 1700 students a year from counties all over Middle TN. Services provided are one-on-one tutoring sessions to: 1) Adult Learners who wish to learn to read, 2) COVER (Community Offered Volunteer Education Resources) partnering with local schools during the school day, providing an early literacy intervention program for Kindergarten, through Second Grade students, 3)Tutoring 18 and under year round in Reading, Writing, and Math, 4)GED/HiSET Preperation for students wanting their High School Diploma. Through partnering volunteer tutors with our students, we have been able to help thousands of individuals reach their academic goals. All of our tutoring services are provided free of charge and we are very proud that 95% of our organization is comprised of volunteers.
108 Nokes DriveHendersonville, TN 37075
September 1, 2021
- Literacy / Reading
- Public Relations
- Financial Planning
- Business Development
- Community Outreach
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18