2 people are interested
2 people are interested
Rural Students in STEM, Inc. (or RSSTEM) is seeking an outreach director to connect our resources to the schools and students who need them. Our outreach director will be tasked with contacting and coordinating with rural schools to determine what their STEM resources currently look like, what is lacking in their resources, and what RSSTEM can develop or provide. Our outreach director will oversee at team of outreach coordinators to complete these and other tasks.
About This Position
- No prior relevant experience necessary.
- While we cater to rural students, you do not have to be a rural student to volunteer with RSSTEM.
- Our volunteers work remotely, with all activities and meetings occurring virtually.
- We offer flexible hours for all volunteers. All volunteers set a weekly goal for volunteer hours and are welcome to complete those hours at any time, day or night. Meetings can be arranged outside of normal working hours.
- We welcome new ideas and want to encourage our volunteers to initiate their own resources and projects, should they so choose.
Volunteer Requirements and Skills
- We welcome all to apply, including high school and college students.
- While we do request a resume for all volunteer applicants, RSSTEM is mentorship-focused - while experience is always beneficial, it's not required. We're here to help our volunteers grow.
- We do recommend volunteers have the following soft skills: Verbal communication, writing skills, a desire to learn, flexibility, problem solving, and the ability to self-motivate.
How to Apply
Apply on our website! Only a link to your resume is required. Visit rsstem.org to learn more.
About Rural Students in STEM, Inc.
2828 105th St, Aurora, IA 50607, US
Rural Students in STEM seeks to provide resources and mentorship to improve access of rural high school students to careers and education in science, technology, engineering, and math.
Rural Students in STEM was founded to help connect rural high school students to careers and education in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). RSSTEM was founded in 2020 by a native Iowan who, while growing up on her family's farm, discovered a passion for understanding the brain and navigated the complexities of pursuing a bachelor's and then graduate degree in a STEM field. Recognizing the lack of resources for fellow rural students, she started RSSTEM to help fill the gap between rural and urban students in access to and engagement in STEM careers.
Rural Students in STEM's organizational goals are described in three phases: (1) Resource development and outreach, (2) mentorship, and (3) financial support. Our activities are currently focused on Phase 1. We hope to generate a portfolio of resources for rural students and initiate connections with rural schools and students. In phases 2 and 3, we aim to connect students to mentors and financial resources to aid in their educational journeys.
Beyond the resources we aim to provide to rural students, RSSTEM also looks to support our high school and collegiate volunteers in developing key experiences and supporting them in their initiatives. Check out our website (rsstem.org) to learn more and view our current resource collection.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
August 31, 2021
- Community Outreach
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Must be at least 15
- We have no minimum hours requirement. All volunteers set their own weekly minimum volunteer goal. We ask our volunteers to work to meet this goal, or modify it as necessary.