9 people are interested
Transcribers / Translators for Refugee Project
9 people are interested
Witness Change is a not for profit organization dedicated to improving life for excluded groups by amplifying their stories. Our vision is to create inclusive societies with equal rights for all.
Through our storytelling we aim to reduce stigma, increase agency, and inspire action.
Witness Change needs translators and transcribers who are fluent in both spoken and written English and one of the below languages:
- Take automated transcription of interviews made by refugee storytellers then translate them into English. A volunteer transcriber / translator would:
- Conduct their transcriptions with discretion and care in order to protect the refugees and interviewees from potential risks of sharing their stories.
- Take interviews that have been transcribed by Artificial Intelligence software and further transcript / edit for accuracy then translate into English.
THE TEAM CONSISTS OF:
- Transcriptions / Translation Manager
- Transcribers / Translators
- Listen to audio files of interviews
- Proof and correct transcription software
- Maintain communication with the Translation Manager as needed
- Organised and enthusiastic
- Ability to be independent and respond promptly to direction
- Must have internet access
- Interested in Refugee/Human Rights issues
Please note- some interviews may contain strong language and context that may not be suitable for young volunteers.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you want to be part of Witness Change and their fight to humanize marginalize people throughout the world, please email one of the following with the subject line "(Language) Transcriber / Translator Volunteer Call"
- Farsi- firstname.lastname@example.org
About Witness Change
1392 McLendon Avenue NE #22, Atlanta, GA 30307, US
Witness Change is a not for profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of excluded people by amplifying their stories. Stigmatized people are often excluded from their own stories. We use visual storytelling to support these people as they reclaim the narratives of their lives to achieve necessary change such as influencing policies, attitudes and behaviors that affect them.
Witness Change started in 2015 and was entirely a volunteer run organisation until recently. Without the passionate, dedicated volunteers who bring their skills and enthusiasm to the organization, we could not deliver the campaigns that make a difference in the lives of those whose stories we tell.
As we grow, we will take on more stories to help other excluded groups but our most recent projects have focused on the following:
We are campaigning for an end to discrimination and persecution based on sexuality or gender identity. Where Love Is Illegal uses storytelling as a key advocacy tool to change the narrative on LGBTIQ+ people in countries where their voices are silenced because LGBTIQ+ people are, in some regions, increasingly subject to rampant discrimination, criminalization, and even death.
In My World: www.onedayinmyworld.com
Our goal is to create a world where mental health is recognized as a global health priority and a society where people living with mental health issues are seen, heard and valued. In My World uses storytelling’s powerful potential to amplify the voices of those living with mental health issues to break down barriers that divide us, and prompt action.
1000dreamsproject.com changes the prevailing refugee narratives through a storytelling project that tells the stories of 1000 refugees of diverse experience.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
August 31, 2021
- Administrative Support
- Must be at least 18
- Minimum of five transcriptions / translations- Passionate about Refugee / Human Rights- Must have internet access- Organised and enthusiastic