4 people are interested
Study Buddy Tutor - Mandarin/Cantonese
4 people are interested
Study Buddy Program (rolling intake, apply anytime)
This program is currently being offered online and in-person
With the language requirement you will help bridge the communication between yourself and the parent/guardian.
Who was that person that had a positive impact in your life when you were younger? Who inspired you to do well in school and encouraged you to attend post secondary? This could have been a family member, a neighbour or a family friend. This person might have helped you make positive choices in your life and choose the path you are on today. They might have given you the courage or support to apply for post secondary, a part-time job, or do something positive that you might not have done if it wasn’t for them. Now imagine if that person hadn’t existed, where might you have ended up?
This is the reality for many of our youth. They tell us they don’t have one supportive person in their life. That’s where you come in and help provide that support to choice the right path instead of the wrong path. By showing up for your Little Sister you are saying to her that she matters, that you will be there to support her in an academically. You don’t have to have any special qualifications to be a tutor, being you is enough.
Our experienced caseworkers match our youth (aged 7-17) with you (aged 19+) in a one-to-one tutoring relationship based on your academic strengths and geographic location. You will be there to encourage your Little Sister to improve their educational performance and set appropriate academic goals which will contribute to their overall confidence.
You will meet with your Little Sister for 1 hour once a week for six months to focus on their school work. With the support of your caseworker they will provide you with resources needed to help your Little Sister succeed.
The youth in our program come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences and could benefit from the support and friendship of a tutor.
The program strives to do the following:
- Provide an academic role model to Little Sisters (ages 7-17)
- Increase educational performance
- Promote the importance of staying in school and its positive benefits
- Enhance educational goal setting
- Age 19 or older female, transgender, or non-binary individual
- Mature, stable, reliable and respectful of others
- Canadian resident for the past year (or able to provide an International Criminal Records Check)
- Able to commit to spending one hour a week with your Little Study Buddy for at least six months (yes, occasional vacations and work travel are fine!)
- Interested in helping a Little Sister aged 7-17 reach their academic goals
- Have a high school diploma and some post-secondary (in-progress or complete)
- Have experience helping others learn
- Fluent in reading, writing, and speaking English
- The opportunity to develop tutoring and teaching skills
- Exposure to fresh perspectives, ideas and approaches
- Development of your personal leadership and coaching styles
- Share knowledge, which helps increase youths sense of well-being
- Strengthens your interpersonal relationship skills
Apply Now: https://www.bigsisters.bc.ca/get-involved/become-a-volunteer/study-buddy/
Or Contact: Alice at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
About Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland
34 East 12 Avenue, Vancouver, British Columbia V5T 2G5, CA
Enable life-changing mentoring relationships to ignite the power and potential of young people.
Since 1960, Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland is a non-profit organization who has been enabling life-changing mentoring relationships to ignite the power and potential of young people.
Our experienced caseworkers carefully match Little Sisters with female identifying, transgender or non-binary adult mentors (19 years+) who help young people realize their full potential, avoid risky behaviour and make healthy choices. We match girls, self-identifying, transgender or non-binary children and youth between the ages of 7 to 17 with a positive female role model, through our three mentoring programs. Our Big Sisters, Study Buddy and Go Girls Healthy Bodies, Healthy Minds Program.
Service areas: Surrey, Richmond, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, New Westminster, Surrey, White Rock, Delta, Tsawwassen and Ladner, Vancouver, North and West Vancouver.
August 27, 2021
- Background Check
- Must be at least 19
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour per week; 6 months minimum commitment
- High School Diploma or some Post-Secondary in progress; Criminal Records Check