Help Build Raised Garden Beds for Autism Job Training Farm!
Join Learning 4 Life Farm to work side-by-side with students on the autism spectrum!
We can use about 5-10 volunteers each for three separate Wednesday workdays in Oct, building raised beds with our students in our new hoop house. We received a grant from Autism Speaks for the materials.
- No experience is required. If folks DO have basic experience with a miter saw, power tools, building, or gardening, that is great, but not required.
- The main tasks volunteers will be doing are working one-on-one with the students through each phase of the project, with multiple staff members on hand doing the main supervision of the kids. Lead volunteers and staff will guide all parts of the workshop. We will be loading and unloading boards, measuring boards, cutting them using a miter saw, assembling the boards into raised beds, and putting them together using power drills and deck screws. Then we will be putting down cardboard and raking topsoil and compost into the beds and pea gravel in the pathways.
- All necessary tools will be provided .
- Everyone should bring their own set of work gloves , but we do have extras if needed
- We will break for lunch. Bring a lunch and water/drink for the day. We'll also provide bottled water and some snacks throughout the day.
- Restrooms will be available.
- We do not require masks.
About LEARNING 4 LIFE FARM
3060 Johnstown Utica Rd, Johnstown, OH 43031, US
Our mission is to provide quality training for young adults on the Autism Spectrum and provide meaningful employment in the community upon completion of training.
We are creating a 7-acre nonprofit farm in Johnstown, Ohio with gardens and therapy alpacas to provide transition job training for young adults on the autism spectrum in partnership with our parent organization, The Learning Spectrum.
3060 Johnstown Utica RoadJohnstown, OH 43031
August 27, 2021
- People Skills
- Must be at least 15