DONATE TO THIS
18 people are interested
Spoken Word Youth Mentor for 5 wks (New York)
ORGANIZATION: Minds Beyond Measure
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
18 people are interested
Minds Beyond Measure (MBM), a nonprofit, strives to inspire purpose and passion, to empower and cultivate great minds in children, youth and teachers to improve educational outcomes in New York and developing countries.
Background of Our Organization
Minds Beyond Measure (MBM), is a nonprofit, newly established in 2019. It was birthed from the founder's traveling experiences and living abroad across Asia, and seeing a lack of educational resources and the lack of access to education in some very impoverished communities. The journey included training teachers, teaching children and youth, visiting rural schools with limited or no resources, experiencing children and youth who were hungry for small things, often taken for granted in the Western world, such as pencils and paper to write and books to read. This experience then evolved into a passion to serve the underserved, at risk and provide access to quality education for both teachers and students through pathways that inspire for life. This is when MBM was born.
What if you could go to your place of employment with a renewed sense of purpose and direction, confident in the knowledge that the work you do contributes to a great cause? When you work with us in the role of Speak 4 Life (R4L) Program Mentor this could be your life.
We're seeking a volunteer who wants to give back to the community and be a part of making a lasting impact with young people. By using their passion, creativity and communication skills, they will strive to inspire, empower and positively impact young people through a 6 week Spoken Word program, where the focus is on getting students to tell their stories through words and poetry. They will also develop on cultivating writing and speaking skills and the confidence to speak in front of an audience, as well as a boldness to share their hopes; their dreams, their truth; and their story.
Please visit our website to learn more about our program at https://www.mindsbeyondmeasure.org/youth-development .
If this sounds like the perfect fit, we'd love to hear from you!
Job Duties and Tasks
- 1 hour a week to facilitate the Speak 4 Life: program
- Co-facilitate a group of 10-12 youth with the Program Lead on Weekday from 6-7pm
- Evaluate and reflect on program effectiveness
- Raise awareness of the mentor program to others
- Passionate about being a positive role model for young people
- Strong desire to positively impact youth
- Confident with presenting and performing to groups of people
- Comfortable with being assertive when the need arises
- Comfortable working with youth in an urban environment
- Strong communication, interpersonal and team skills
- Excellent organizational skills and time-management abilities
- Creativity skills
- Available to commit to a full program implementation for 6 weeks (2 hours each week): 1 hour - lesson preparation and 1 hour of program implementation (Weekday at 6 - 7 pm)
About Minds Beyond Measure
West 42nd St, New York, NY 10036, US
Minds Beyond Measures (MBM) mission is to partner with schools and organizations around the world, to promote access to educational equity, and to inspire and empower teachers and young people, through Creative Arts and Cultural Competency Programs, Transformational Coaching and Professional Development, all while cultivating great Minds Beyond Measure.
MBM's mission, to inspire and empower young people and educators while cultivating minds beyond measure, is accomplished through focusing on three pathways that use a sustainable model which supports individual transformation and organizational change:
1) Supporting educators and leaders through transformational coaching, professional development and teacher training, to develop sustainable and effective pedagogical practices, improve the quality of teaching and in turn, improve student outcomes.
2) Mentoring children and youth through Creative Arts and Cultural Competency programs to foster holistic growth and development, and nurture social, emotional and cognitive well-being.
3) Bridging the educational gap that exists in underserved communities across New York City and beyond, as well as impoverished nations around the world, through providing teacher training, professional development, children and youth development programs and educational resources, to provide all students with equitable access to education.
Schenck AvenueBrooklyn, NY 11207
November 21, 2022
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours per week (1 hour in person and 1 hour virtual planning)