1 person is interested
Support pets and people in your community through the East Bay SPCA's Humane Advocacy Programs
1 person is interested
Purpose: The Humane Advocacy (HA) department’s mission is to improve animal welfare in the East Bay community and support the Human/Animal Bond. The department currently consists of 5 main programs: Pet Food Pantry, Free Vaccine Clinics, Spay/Neuter Vouchers, Hold for Home, and our flagship Medical Assistance Fund.
Position Overview: Are you interested in assisting pet owners in our community work through challenges they are facing with their animals? Join our HA Team for a chance to make a difference and be a part of a passionate team of people who assist humans and animals daily. This volunteer opportunity will give first-hand experience inside the animal welfare field as it relates to advancing the human-animal bond. We are looking for volunteers that are passionate about increasing community access to veterinary care, pet food and supplies, and other resources to keep companion animals with their humans and out of shelters!
- Listen to voicemails and read emails; empathetically responding to a variety of requests for assistance.
- Compassionately provide holistic, person-centered (client focused) individualized care to community members seeking resources.
- 2-3 hours per week, shift times are flexible and available on Tuesdays or Thursday.
- We ask each volunteer to make a six-month minimum commitment, but we hope you stay longer!
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Commit to a regular weekly shift.
- Proficient in basic computer skills including word processing, email, and using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and the ability to work with people of varying background and cultures by adapting style and tactics to fit the audience while reserving judgment.
- Experience assisting people with no income or low income in accessing resources.
- Excellent verbal and written communication along with active-listening skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Enthusiasm for the programs of the East Bay SPCA.
About East Bay SPCA
8323 Baldwin Street, Oakland, CA 94621, US
The East Bay SPCA is committed to the welfare of cats and dogs in the communities we serve. We strive to eliminate animal cruelty, neglect and overpopulation by providing programs and education that support people and companion animals.
The East Bay SPCA has been an innovator in animal welfare for over 125 years providing shelter, health care, and adoption services for unwanted animals since 1874. We are committed to finding homes for adoptable cats and dogs, providing affordable veterinary and spay/neuter services, and educating the public on responsible pet ownership. We are the oldest animal welfare organization in the East Bay and operate two animal shelters and three clinics, serving Alameda and Contra Costa counties.
8323 Baldwin St.Oakland, CA 94621
August 25, 2021
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 hours per week on a Tuesday or Thursday