2 people are interested
2 people are interested
St. Stephen's Human Services/House of Charity work to end homelessness by feeding those in need, housing those experiencing homelessness, and empowering individuals to achieve independence. Our primary goal is to support unhoused people in achieving permanent, affordable housing. We meet people where they are, working together toward self-sufficiency and housing stability. St. Stephen’s/House of Charity serve more than 8,000 community members annually who are experiencing homelessness, hunger, and poverty in Minneapolis. POSITION OVERVIEW The Policy Volunteer is an opportunity for someone with legislative and other advocacy experience to use those skills. We are looking for someone to help us improve the policies and conditions that create and prolong homelessness and hunger.
The Policy Volunteer will help the agency and the people we serve to advocate for policies that help us to meet our mission and the people we serve. St. Stephen’s advocates for policies that lead to ending homelessness and alleviating hunger including anti-racist policies that attack racism at the root of homelessness and hunger.
The Policy Volunteer will work with the Community Engagement Committee, a board and staff committee. The Policy Volunteer will have the opportunity to:
· Craft messages on behalf of the agency and its volunteers consistent with strategic advocacy and policy goals with the Board and its Directors.
· Outreach to advocacy volunteers, other advocacy, and community service organizations.
· Helping to setup lawmaker meetings.
· Supporting staff in their policy advocacy efforts as it relates to the work of St. Stephen’s.
· Work with staff to maintain lists of advocacy volunteers.
· Meet monthly with the Community Engagement Committee.
· Work with the Community Engagement Committee to choose policy projects.
There are a wide variety of qualifications and experiences that the Policy Volunteer could bring to this opportunity. In general, we are looking for someone who is a self-starter, learns quickly, and can see the real-world impact of housing, healthcare, criminal justice, civil rights, and other policies.
Here are some of the suggested experiences and qualifications that could help make this a great opportunity for all involved. Any combination of the following is welcome:
· Professional or volunteer community-based advocacy experience, active political participation, or lobbying experience.
· Lived experience with homelessness and hunger.
· Work experience in communications and public relations.
· Educational experience in policy advocacy or development.
LOCATION AND HOURS
The Policy Volunteer will work remotely with a mix of online and in-person meetings. We will work with
the Policy Volunteer to see what hours they can provide but we need someone who can work a minimum of five hours per week.
If you are interested in applying to become our Policy Volunteer, please contact Noah Chan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612 436 2050
About St. Stephen's Human Services / House of Charity
510 S. 8th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55404, US
To feed those in need, house those experiencing homelessness and empower individuals to achieve independence.
As of January 1, 2021, St. Stephen’s Human Services and House of Charity have merged. Together, we will be able to serve more people and provide a more comprehensive continuum of services - from outreach, to shelter, food, treatment and mental health services, and ultimately, housing. We are still using both names for now, but will have a new look and new organization name later this year.
Multiple locations Minneapolis, MN 55404
August 25, 2021
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Public Relations
- Public Advocacy
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- At least 5 hours per week