9 people are interested
BloodworksNW Serum Collection Donor Monitor Volunteer
9 people are interested
Bloodworks Northwest is looking for a dedicated volunteer to help during the Serum Product collection at our Central Seattle location. The collection happens the second Wednesday and Thursday of every month from 7AM to 10AM. Bloodworks is partnering with research and medical institution in clinical trials to develop treatments for patients with life threatening diseases. An important product we are providing is human serum derived from whole blood. Currently, local clinical trials rely on these blood donations for cancer research treatments. With donated serum, scientists can grow immune cells to achieve a dose or number of cells that might effectively target a cancer, or an infection. As with all blood products, there is no artificial substitute for serum, which is why Bloodworks always needs serum donors.
- Greet and welcome all of the Serum Collection Donors after their donations
- Monitor all of the Serum donors post-donation to ensure their safety and wellbeing, as they are required to modify their diet 12 hours prior to donating (a clear liquid fasting diet is used before donating serum)
- Ensure all Serum donors eat the provided refreshments available in the canteen and ask them questions to determine how donors are feeling
- Facilitate rebooking future Serum blood donations appointments by taking donors’ information by using a sign-up sheets
- Thank each donor for their efforts to support patients in our community
- Complete volunteer on-boarding process, Donor Experience Specialist training, Human Subject Training provided by CITI (cost of this training is covered by Bloodworks and volunteer gets an official certificate), plus in-person Serum Training at our Central Seattle location
- Complete shadow shift with Reporting Supervisor
- Excellent customer service skills an strong desire to help and serve others
- Medical background or public health students preferred, but not required.
- Able to stand, bend and lift up to 10lbs
- morning / 07:30 AM to 10:30 AM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About Bloodworks Northwest
921 Terry Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104, US
Saving lives through research, innovation, education and excellence in blood, medical and laboratory services in partnership with our community.
Bloodworks Northwest: Because blood works miracles every day. As a unique, hybrid provider of health care services for the community, we collect, test and distribute essential, lifesaving blood to nearly 90 hospitals in the Pacific Northwest. We’re transfusion experts who consult with physicians. We’re also medical professionals who deliver clinical care to patients with blood disorders and disease. We’re scientists at specialized laboratories who support patients and surgeons at organ transplant and cancer treatment centers. And we’re a respected Research Institute studying everything related to blood. Here are some of the ways we’re saving lives every day:
Your Community Resource For Lifesaving Blood-With the help of a 250,000 registered donors in the region, Bloodworks NW collects about 900 units of blood each day. All blood receives immediate, comprehensive testing so that it can be available to 90 regional hospitals - usually in less than 24 hours after donation. We operate 11 donor centers and our mobile units travel to hundreds of blood drives every month at work sites, schools, churches, and other community locations throughout Western Washington.
Volunteerism-Bloodworks NW benefits from the dedicated work of more than 2,000 active volunteers. Our volunteers make a real difference and a vital contribution to help save lives, gain work experience, build skills, earn community service hours and feel justifiably proud about giving back to those in need.
921 Terry Ave.Seattle, WA 98104
August 24, 2021
- Customer Service
- Patient Care
- Community Outreach
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours per shift-7:30am to 10:30am
- Minimum 6-9 month commitment due to training