Content Writer Intern
Bridges to Science, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and provider of math, coding, and robotics educational programs for underserved youth, is looking for a high school student to volunteer as Content Writer volunteer. We are a dynamic and growing team, dedicated to equipping Hispanics, home educated students, and other underserved communities with 21st century skills, thus helping them discover the sciences and a more promising future.
About the Bridges to Science Content Writer Intern:
Join us in creating high-quality content for our nonprofit! As a member of our team, you’ll be given necessary details to write social media posts, blog posts, emails, and website content.
This is a remote position with flexible hours. Tell us your availability, and we’ll work to accommodate you!
Who We are Looking for:
A dependable and self-motivated volunteer interested in crafting well-written, creative, and engaging content that effectively communicates the mission, vision, programming, and successes of Bridges to Science to donors, foundations, funders, partners, volunteers, and beneficiaries. In addition, the content writer will write content to promote youth enrollment in programs.
The Content Writer Intern is given great independence and creative license and is able to take the initiative to produce audience-centric, clear, and concise social media posts, blog posts, emails, and website content.
This is a great opportunity for a person with solid writing skills or a copywriter looking for a steady, flexible job to volunteer and showcase in resume.
As our Content Writer, you'll be working with the communications department under the guidance of an established process.
Content Writer Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with graphic designers, founder, and communications team as needed, to ensure coverage of important news and events and execute a writing schedule.
- Enhance website content to better serve the main audience and fit with Bridges to Science’s strategy while being optimized for search.
- Write content across channels for publication in Bridges to Science’s monthly email newsletter, blog, edit students’ blog posts (Humans of Bridges to Science), impact stories, and social media content (for LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram).
- Write content for brochures, flyers, etc.
- Maintain high levels of confidentiality.
- Writing, editing, and communications skills that can easily flex to meet the needs of our audiences.
- Interested in Language Arts, journalism, debate, marketing, copywriting, or related field.
- Solid organizational, time management, and communication skills.
- Able to work independently and also collaborate with others.
- Gain experience in writing a range of projects.
- Opportunity to work towards United Nations Association - USA Service Awards to showcase in resume.
- Develop and build upon writing skills with practical and resume relevant work experience to showcase.
- Opportunity to collaborate with seasoned marketing professionals.
- Flexible schedule.
Job Type: Volunteer
Time commitment: 1-2 volunteer hours per week
Language: English required, Spanish desirable but not necessary
Location: Fully Remote
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About BRIDGES TO SCIENCE
8055 FM 359 South # 1022, Fulshear, TX 77441, US
Bridges to Science provides math, coding, and robotics educational programs for underserved youth to develop their problem-solving skills, ignite in them an interest in the sciences, and inspire them to pursue college-bound paths. Bridges to Science is a 501(c)(3) organization primarily serving Hispanics, home educated, and other underserved communities.
In 2018 our founder launched Katy Math Circle with the support of LIGHT Katy Coop and the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute’s MC-MAP Program. Faculty in the area have also supported this initiative. A math circle provides a no pressure and fun environment for students develop problem solving skills, creativity, and the confidence to tackle math. Katy Math Circle’s students flourished, yet it was soon evident our community’s needs for accessible STEM programs were growing beyond the scope of our once a week math circle community.
For this reason, in December 2019 we launched a robotics pilot program and two months later Bridges to Science was created to provide year round programs in math, coding, and robotics for underserved middle students in all educational arrangements. This year we started working with Houston ISD as a Wraparound Community Partner. At the moment, we are piloting a bilingual coding club at a school teaching students Python in collaboration with Carnegie Mellon. More programs will be launching in the summer and fall.
Bridges to Science helps youth develop their problem-solving skills, ignite in them an interest in the sciences, and inspire them to pursue college-bound paths. Our vision is to empower youth on the way forward.
PO Box 1022Fulshear, TX 77441
August 21, 2021
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- Technical Writing
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Social Media / Blogging
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hours a week