3 people are interested
Answer the Call to Help! - Front Desk/Admin Support
3 people are interested
DESC is seeking assistance with front desk duties at our main offices located at 515 3rd Ave in Pioneer Square and possibly additional administrative locations in the downtown area. Our front desk teams work to greet visitors and clients entering our offices, answering incoming calls, and a variety of other duties. Volunteers would be responsible for assisting front desk staff with a variety of these duties possibly including the below:
Front Desk & Lobby - Client Interactions:
- Greet agency clients and visitors who enter the office and inform appropriate staff of their arrival.
- Assist in maintaining a comfortable milieu while tolerant of unusual and bizarre client behavior
- Provide assistance to homeless individuals and others who are experiencing crises caused by mental illness and/or due to drug/alcohol consumption
- Assist with cleanliness of lobby area, interview/conference rooms and work area.
- Answer incoming calls promptly with proper etiquette; route calls to appropriate persons; transfers call to voice mail or take messages as needed. Provide basic information on agency and services as appropriate over the phone.
- Process mail for clients and staff: Accept mail from USPS, UPS, FedEx, and other independent vendors, sort/distribute mail, and enter received client mail into tracking database.
- Order, maintain and dispense office supplies and forms needed by staff.
About DESC - Housing and Health to End Homelessness
515 3RD AVE, SEATTLE, WA 98104, US
The Downtown Emergency Service Center works to end the homelessness of vulnerable people, particularly those living with serious mental or addictive illnesses. Through partnerships and an integrated array of comprehensive services, treatment and housing, we give people the opportunity to reach their highest potential. At DESC, uncommon efforts produce uncommon results that eliminate homelessness, one person at a time.
DESC is the largest multi-service agency serving homeless adults in the Puget Sound region, reaching over 9,000 people annually and providing state licensed mental health and chemical dependency treatment, 279 emergency shelter beds, and over 1600 units of permanent, supportive housing. DESC also addresses a larger community need: our services decrease the financial burden on taxpayers by minimizing the utilization of emergency rooms, jails, courts, police, psychiatric hospitals and other highly expensive resources. At the same time, we are improving the quality of life for those who live, work and do business here.
DESC succeeds where others have failed. Stretching the bounds of accepted practices, DESC's professional staff have learned that creative, assertive and holistic approaches, including evidence based and emerging best practices, work best for our highly vulnerable and difficult-to-engage clientele. Many men and women who have a long history of homelessness also have tenuous if any ties to the mainstream community and lack natural support networks such as family members. By eliminating outdated barriers to services and housing, DESC has received national recognition for its work with chronically homeless adults with behavioral health disorders.
Our staff and Board of Directors remain committed to serving those adults in our community who are most disabled and most vulnerable - and most often forgotten or ignored by society. We believe there is no such thing as a throw-away person.
515 3rd AveSeattle, WA 98104
August 19, 2021
- Office Reception
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
- Data Entry
- Basic Computer Skills
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 6 month commitment / Minimum of 2 hours weekly
- COVID Vaccination / Background Check