32 people are interested
History Center School Tour Guide Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Orange County Regional History Center
Please visit the new page to apply.
32 people are interested
School Tour Volunteers lead groups of children and adults on a fun exploration through a museum gallery.
Volunteer shifts are weekdays, Monday - Friday, 10am - 1pm. October - May
History Center tours explore Florida’s natural environment, indigenous and Native American tribes, pioneers, cattle & citrus, transportation & tourism, and African American history. Volunteers also facilitate 'mock’ courtroom trials, STEM challenges and classroom workshops.
REPORTS TO: Diane Masciale, Museum Services Coordinator
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Guide groups thru a gallery honoring the experiences and contributions of those who came before us and sharing Central Florida’s continually unfolding story.
Commit to volunteer an average of one day per week for tours, preferably minimum 8 months.
Training covers these areas.
- Fourth Floor Galleries - Natural Environment & Seminoles and Pioneers
- Third Floor Galleries - Transportation & Historic Courtroom
- Second Floor Gallery - African American Community
- Museum Techniques & Best Practices
Training sessions are scheduled each Wednesday in September.
For an introduction, please plan to attend History Alive! August 5, 2023. 11am - 1pm
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
Friendly, flexible, curious about history
Interested in speaking with museum guests of all ages
Minimum Age 18 years
Mobility needed for walking groups around a gallery.
Previous experience with children helpful, but not required
Business Casual Dress Code
BENEFITS FOR ACTIVE VOLUNTEERS INCLUDE:
- An engaging, rewarding experience
- Curator-led tours of exhibitions
- Free parking validation during scheduled volunteer shifts
- Complimentary virtual access to monthly Lunch & Learn programs
- Monthly volunteer e-newsletter
- After 50 hours of volunteer service:
- Complimentary individual Volunteer Membership
- After 100 hours of volunteer service:
- Complimentary individual Enhanced Volunteer Membership
- Eligibility for President’s Volunteer Service Award
- Volunteer outings
- Recognition during National Volunteer Appreciation Week each April
- Annual Volunteer Appreciation event
The above description and qualifications are not all-inclusive and represents a majority of the key responsibilities of this position. Other duties may be assigned as required to fulfill the directives of the Education Department or as designated by executive staff. Work environment is primarily in the exhibits of the museum.
*Final Candidates must pass a background check.
10:00 AM to 12:30 PM
Typical weekday volunteer shift for school tour.
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
4 More opportunities with Orange County Regional History Center1 Review
About Orange County Regional History Center
65 E Central Blvd, Orlando, FL 32801, US
The mission of the Orange County Regional History Center is to serve as the gateway for community engagement, education, and inspiration by preserving and sharing Central Florida’s continually unfolding story.
The Orange County Regional History Center is an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution and a member of the American Alliance of Museums. The History Center includes a museum in a historic courthouse, the collection of the Historical Society of Central Florida, the Joseph L. Brechner Research Library, and Heritage Square park. It advances its mission through wide-ranging programs, permanent and traveling exhibits, and limited-run exhibitions from other prestigious institutions.
Orange County Regional History CenterDowntown Orlando65 East Central Blvd.Orlando, FL 32801
April 25, 2023
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18