PRISM - Seeking Food Rescue Drivers
Volunteer Job Description - Driver
PRISM seeks to be a leader in creating meaningful and impactful volunteer experiences for community members. Our ability to best serve the community is hinged on our capacity to physically do the work, as well as having the trust and involvement of community stakeholders.
Volunteers are key components in PRISM’s mission of providing social services and connections that empower people in our community to build healthy, stable lives, and our vision to lead in providing innovative and dignified services that foster resilient individuals and a healthier, more sustainable community.
Volunteer Duties and Requirements
We have a big need for ongoing Food Rescue Drivers! Using PRISM’s vehicle, the Driver drives to specific retail stores in the west metropolitan area to pick up donated food. This role is critical in assuring our participants receive high-quality food when visiting our Marketplace Food Shelf, and that food being discarded by local supermarket chains is distributed to our households. Volunteer drivers supporting the Marketplace Food Shelf will perform a variety of duties including:
- Collecting donations from west metropolitan area retail stores, ex: Target, Cub Foods and HyVee
- Load the vehicle at the rescue food site location, ensuring the PRISM vehicle remains organized an accessible for distribution
- Unload the vehicle at PRISM facility.
- Separate and deliver donated food to each specific storage area of PRISM: cooler, freezer, nonperishable foods
- Weighing and documenting total amount of lbs. collected after pick-up route
- Break down packaging for trash and recycling
- Maintain a clean, safe, and orderly vehicle and work environment
- Notify Volunteer Manager of any challenges with pick-up and/or route.
- Comfort working alongside another volunteer, providing shadow opportunities to new volunteers as needed
Knowledge, Skills, Education, Experience:
- Effective interpersonal skills under all types of conditions, exhibiting a supportive, direct, and positive approach with participants, staff and other volunteers
- Experience working with diverse populations with the demonstrated ability to communicate and relate effectively to a wide variety of individuals
- Passion for food insecurity
- Ability to work flexible hours, generally between mornings and afternoons, as needed
- Must have a valid driver’s license and insurance
- Be able to lift 30+ pounds, stand for duration of shift, bend and twist
- Be able to use step stools, ladders, and use dolly
- Be able to use scissors and box-cutters
- Must wear close-toed footwear
- Must not have a misdemeanor or felony record
If you are interested in this opportunity, please reach out to Nolan Isaacson, Volunteer Manager, at 763-432-4230 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All staff, volunteers, and participants are required to wear masks while inside of our facility.
09:00 AM to 01:00 PM
The hours for our food rescue pick-up vary depending on the route and amount of food being distributed. We are seeking volunteers with flexibility.
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
1220 Zane Ave No, Golden Valley, MN 55422, US
To provide social services and connections that empower people in our community to build healthy, stable lives.
At PRISM, those in need will always find an ally. We promise to treat every person with the inherent dignity they deserve. We trust in the power of our community as together we meet our neighbor's right to healthy food, proper clothing, and housing stability. We are humbled by the trust extended to us by our many partners, and pledge to be an exceptional partner in and for our communities. We promise to empower those with whom we work in the cause of building healthy, stable lives.
1220 Zane Ave NGolden ValleyGolden Valley, MN 55422
August 12, 2021
- Bus/Van Driving
- Inventory Management
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- Critical Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- PRISM offers flexible volunteer opportunities for all of our departments, but depends on in-person support to fulfill the needs of our programs. If you are able to make an ongoing commitment with us, we would love to connect with you!