10 people are interested
Fall 2021 Internship Program
10 people are interested
Rescuing Leftover Cuisine (RLC) is a nonprofit organization committed to fighting food insecurity and preventing food waste. We have cultivated a network of dedicated food rescuers who bring food directly from our donors to human service agencies, letting neighbors help neighbors while reaping the environmental and economic benefits of reduced food waste. Founded in 2013, our simple, but elegant model has saved over 6 million pounds of food with an average of over 200% growth year over year.
COVID-19 has had a devastating effect on billions of people across the world and food insecurity within the United States is at an all-time high. Feeding America estimates that food insecurity within the US has increased by 7 million people since 2019, making for a painful total of 42 million people who struggle with food insecurity. Our branches across the country are continuing to rescue excess food and deliver it to our partner agencies to help meet this increased need. Despite the limitations and disastrous impact of COVID-19, RLC has been working harder than ever to overcome new challenges and ensure our community remains strong and diligent in the fight against food waste and food insecurity.The Program
We’re looking for individuals to participate in our Fall 2021 Internship Program. Interns are unpaid and will work part-time (20 hours per week) from September 13 to December 17, 2021. Each reporting to a functional director, interns will contribute to our organizational objectives while learning the day-to-day operations of a nonprofit and gaining tangible work experience in their desired function. See below for a list of intern positions available for the fall!Why RLC
- We’re passionate about food rescue and its potential to eliminate hunger
- We work hard, but we have fun doing it: monthly team-building activities, cooking competitions, and more!
- We aim high: we’ve grown every year, in terms of both new partners and pounds of food rescued, and we’re projected to continue that growth trend each year moving forward
This is an unpaid internship, but New York City based interns may be provided a monthly unlimited MetroCard to support their commute.Minimum Qualifications
Fall 2021 interns will, at a minimum, meet the following qualifications:
- Passion for mission-based work and interest in relevant business function; prior relevant coursework preferred
- Willingness to take initiative and collaborate with a team or manager
- Ability to work independently and persevere through ambiguity
- Eagerness to provide and receive feedback with an eye towards growth and development
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication
- Comfort representing RLC and engaging professionally with stakeholders
- Ability to perform in a dynamic environment and manage an evolving workload
- Familiarity with relevant computer software (e.g., Google Workspace) preferred
- Commitment to RLC’s core values of integrity, honesty, fairness, openness, respect, and responsibility
Reporting to the Marketing Director, the Public Relations Intern is charged with spreading the awareness of food insecurity and promoting the RLC brand in local communities. They will prepare PR materials and coordinate events and campaigns. The PR Intern’s essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing various PR materials including press releases, media kits, and digital campaigns
- Building relationships with partners, supporters, and community members
- Developing and updating media lists and databases
- Analyzing and developing publicity strategies and campaigns
Reporting to the Marketing Director, the Social Media Intern is charged with leveraging social media platforms to spread awareness of food insecurity and promote the RLC brand in the local and online communities. They will help market new initiatives and events on social media networks. The Social Media Intern’s essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Posting content daily to various platforms
- Working with the graphic designer to develop content
- Assisting with social media campaigns
- Developing online marketing strategies and tactical plans
- Collaborating closely with other Marketing team members
Reporting to the Program Director, the Partner Outreach Intern is charged with outreach and developing new partnerships. On behalf of RLC, they will identify and develop partnerships with food businesses, schools, offices, production companies, and event vendors for New York City and other branches. The Partner Outreach Intern’s essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting in the sales and business development process, including research, lead generation, visitation, pitching, and closing
- Tracking outreach efforts and managing our systems and trackers
- Maintaining our partner database and updating contact and other information
Based in New York City and reporting to the Operations Director, the Brand Ambassador Intern is charged with endorsing the RLC brand in a variety of ways. They will become familiar with RLC operations and processes as well as assist with activities related to marketing. The Brand Ambassador Intern’s essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Assessing volunteer needs and identifying pain points in onboarding and training
- Assisting field outreach and leading food rescues
- Assisting Marketing in content creation and generating brand awareness
- Identifying prospective lead rescuers from volunteer pool
Based in New York City and reporting to the Operations Director, the Operations Intern is charged with overseeing the logistics of the NYC branch operations. They will coordinate with food businesses, volunteers, and charitable organizations to ensure effective and timely food donation pickups and drop-offs. The Operations Intern’s essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Communicating with food businesses and agencies to confirm times and locations for pickups and drop-offs
- Maintaining database of volunteers and food businesses
- Recruiting designated partners for delivery locations
- Assisting in organizing special events with community members
Reporting to the Director of Branch Strategy & Development, the Branch Strategy Intern is charged with enabling the expansion to new branches and the growth of existing branches. They will help develop training resources for branch staff, contribute to an optimal organization or branch structure, and assist with fundraising. The Branch Strategy Intern’s essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Researching the food rescue landscape and identifying human service agencies in various cities to assess the locations’ potential of supporting new branches
- Developing comprehensive resources for training and onboarding of new branch managers
- Identifying corporate fundraising partnerships and development opportunities
- Assisting with grant applications
Reporting to the Development and Corporate Engagement Director, the Grant Intern is charged with securing corporate and foundation funding for RLC. They will research grant opportunities, collect and compile RLC facts, and assist with grant applications. The Grant Intern’s essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Researching grant opportunities
- Outlining, editing, and submitting grant applications
- Providing reporting to approved grants
- Maintaining databases related to grant writing
Reporting to the Development and Corporate Engagement Director, the Donor Management Intern is charged with managing RLC’s relationships with donors to increase donations. They will analyze levers like number of donors, frequency of donations, and amounts donated to optimize revenue from donations. The Donor Management Intern’s essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Recruiting new donors and converting one-time donors into recurring ones
- Developing and implementing strategies to increase total individual donations
- Building relationships with corporation and individual partners to cultivate a network of potential donors
- Assisting with fundraising events for previous and potential donors
To express your interest in RLC’s Fall 2021 Internship Program, send an email with subject line "Fall 2021 Internship" to email@example.com and attach a copy of your resume along with a cover letter answering the following questions:
- Which position are you interested in and why? What relevant or completed coursework do you have?
- What are three strengths or qualities you bring to the team as an intern? And what, from the last three months, are you most proud of?
- What are you hoping to gain from the Fall 2021 Internship Program? How would you define a successful internship experience with RLC?
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About RESCUING LEFTOVER CUISINE
25 BROADWAY 12TH FLOOR, NEW YORK, NY 10004, US
The mission of Rescuing Leftover Cuisine (RLC) is to become the world's most widely used solution for companies and individuals to eliminate food waste in their communities, making food rescue sustainable and universal, and food hunger a thing of the past.
Millions of people around the globe are unable to get access to food, while countless meals are thrown away each day. In the US, 40% of food is thrown away daily while 1 in 7 Americans rely on food assistance programs to eat. RLC is committed to making food rescue sustainable by donating surplus food from restaurants, grocers, corporations, etc. to local shelters.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
August 12, 2021