Animal Care & Management Internship (Unpaid)
ANIMAL CARE & MANAGEMENT INTERNSHIP!
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
As an Animal Care Intern, you will obtain first-hand, tangible experience by working alongside the Peggy Adams Animal Rescue League's Animal Care team in the facilitation of adoptions by providing a high quality of care to the animals in the shelter. The intern will also have the opportunity to assist the Management team with meeting operational and administrative objectives.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES:
- Learn how to properly care for cats & dogs in a shelter environment
- Learn about general animal welfare
- Learn about the flow of animals in a shelter environment
- Learn about proper PPE and how to prevent cross contamination to ensure a healthy environment in animal holding areas
- Learn how to evaluate animal behavior
- Learn how to effectively enrich shelter animals
- Learn how to create and manage a staff schedule
- Learn how to effectively work with volunteers
- Learn how to market adoptable animals through photos & videos
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Enrolled in an accredited College or University, preferred but not required
- Interest in animal welfare or something similar
- Be prompt, reliable & flexible
- Ability to take & follow directions
- Well organized, flexible and able to work well under pressure
- Ability to multi-task
- Be self-motivated and have the ability to multi-task
- Possess basic computer skills
- Good oral communication and comprehension skills
- Comfortable working with all size and breeds of dogs and cats
- Ability of sign and hearing
- Be able to stand, walk, and bend for long periods of time
- Lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Comfortable working in a loud environment while being exposed to animal odors, fur & bio-hazardous materials
About Peggy Adams Animal Rescue League
3200 North Military Trail, West Palm Beach, FL 33409, US
The Mission of the Peggy Adams Animal Rescue League of the Palm Beaches, Incorporated is to provide shelter to lost, homeless and unwanted animals, to provide spay and neuter and other medical services for companion animals, and to care for, protect, and find quality homes for homeless and neglected companion animals, to advocate animal welfare, community involvement and education to further the bond between people and animals.
Peggy Adams Animal Rescue League is a limited-admission humane society and provides services to over 30,000 cats, dogs, puppies and kittens each year. Operating continuously since 1925, we have been positively impacting animal welfare and addressing overpopulation in Palm Beach County through a variety of services.
Our Vision is to create a community where 100% of the adoptable animals find loving homes and no animals will be euthanized because of pet overpopulation.
Peggy Adams Animal Rescue League, Humane Society of the Palm Beaches, is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, and does not receive funding from city, county, state, or the federal government, or local organizations with similar names. We rely solely on the generosity of individuals, foundations and corporations to provide quality programs and services to the community. Your donations directly support the services and programs in place to help animals in need.
3100/3200 North Military TrailWest Palm Beach, FL 33409
August 11, 2021
- Animal Care / Handling
- Animal Therapy
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 12 week commitment/ A minimum of 16 hours a week, depending on intern's schedule
- Internships allow students to connect the information being taught in the classroom to the real world while providing professional connections to people in their desired career field.