The Volunteer Coordinator will provide oversight and support of The Sewing Labs to
ensure resources and community connections fully support our mission.
This is a part-time unpaid volunteer position with a flexible schedule, Monday-Friday, 10-16 hours per week. This role could be a job share with another individual and can also count toward college credit;
Position reports to the Program Manager.
● Deliver an appreciative culture to volunteers to ensure groups are properly acknowledged and
engaged in the mission.
● Assist with scheduling Core Volunteers to help deliver the mission of The Sewing Labs
● Provide coordination for all aspects of the volunteer program, including recruitment and
scheduling of volunteer groups, notifying them of expectations and guidelines
● Be a liaison to the community and corporations that are interested in participating in the volunteer
program to inform them of the various opportunities within volunteerism.
● Maintain scheduling and calendar databases for the volunteer program. Maintain connections
with volunteers thru telephone, social media,email and/or other sources
● Ensure appropriate and adequate tracking and reporting of group volunteer information, contacts
and action items, maintain the statistics required to support the program and including monthly
reports to supervisor.
● Provide ongoing support with managing scheduling systems.
● Assist with ongoing volunteer program initiatives and projects
● Other assignments as required.
● Passion for the mission of The Sewing Labs
● Knowledge and similar work experience in the field is preferred.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills and a strong desire to work with people.
● Must exhibit good organization and planning and be able to provide direction and support.
● Must demonstrate good judgment, good decision-making ability, creativity and dependability.
● Proven time management, prioritization and organizational skills to handle a high volume of
volunteer inquiries and requests.
● Ability to work independently and initiate solutions to problems.
● Ability to learn new and progressive online systems and scheduling tools quickly.
● Ability to assist with data entry; attention detail oriented.
● Competency in a variety of computer applications such as Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, etc., as well as an ability to quickly learn and operate agency volunteer databases
Creating a Long Time Volunteer Plan - keeping volunteers engaged & happy
● Assure that each volunteer has been assigned duties that "call to their heart". Periodically review
with the volunteer what they want to do and adjust when needed.
● Assure all volunteers have attended the Volunteer Orientation within 90 days of engagement.
● Each volunteer are invited to participate in the "Quick Sew Projects" and "Sewing Basic" classes
for Free. Credits for all other classes are earned thru volunteer hours worked.
● Encourage and build a volunteer pool that serves the organization, the community and
● Promote & recognize volunteers monthly with thanks and rewards programs such as "hours
tracker report. A Volunteer can earn points that can be redeemed for either class/workshop
participation or fabric redemption or other designated items. Points earned cannot be redeemed
for the following class/workshops; Gratitude & Grace Retreat, or off site workshops. See awards
program definitions for understanding.
● Foster collaborations with multiple volunteers. For example; TSL participates in community
outreach projects such as; pillow project, Maker’s Faire, Operation Breakthrough, etc. When a
group of volunteers work to accomplish these, they will build friendships and a network to support
each other but, especially support themselves.
● Meet or exceed the expectations of the volunteers by providing them with the following
○ Provide volunteer with all necessary information or training relating to the job assigned
including the time/place of where to report, liability, confidentiality, safety training
○ Provide volunteers with information concerning, the screening process, roles available,
terms of dismissal
○ Know volunteer by name and be known by the key contacts - make sure that all
volunteers are introduced and provided with introductions and name tags if needed.
○ Provide volunteers with a written description to outline the details of their role, including
the responsibilities and expectations
○ Orient the volunteer to the goals of the project
○ Provide the specific training needed
○ Give volunteer feedback and guidance to perform their role at an exceptional level.
○ Inform the volunteer to understand the impact of their service
● Use the following to enhance the volunteer experience
○ Make sure activities are a social experience - meet new people, build friendships
○ Run organized program/projects -
■ Get things done
■ Have the correct # of people needed
■ Have enough to do
■ Build encouragement & contributions
○ Use Social media for engagement; instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
○ Show Gratitude
○ Evaluate the impact - #servicemadesocial
Consider the following to create a plan for volunteer engagement:
● What type of volunteers do we need?
● What are the skills we need?
● How many hours are needed?
● What is the average opportunities for frequency needed?
Who is the ideal volunteer?
● Why does TSL mission, values/goals appeal to the volunteer?
● What are the values, beliefs or intensions of the target volunteer?
● What are the time availability or restraints of the volunteer?
● What will the volunteer get from TSL?
● Why does the volunteer want to help?
Goal for lifelong volunteer relationships, brand champions, and retention rates!
About The Sewing Labs
526 Campbell Street, Kansas City, MO 64106, US
The Sewing Labs is an inclusive and welcoming community teaching the legacy of sewing for employment, entrepreneurship, and enrichment.
The Sewing Labs is a community learning center that teaches the lost art of sewing towards job creation. We are partnered with employers all over Kansas City that are seeking trained sewists. We also are launching a Sewing Salon to encourage entrepreneurs who use sewing as a means to thrive.
526 Campbell StreetKansas CityKansas City, MO 64106
August 10, 2021
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Customer Service
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-16 preferably daytime hours per week