DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
Peer to Peer Support Volunteer - Cancer Care
DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
Provide emotional and informational support to patients through in person visits, or phone/ zoom contacts. Each new Peer Support Volunteer must attend the scheduled training session(s). Following training, Peer Support Volunteers must attend ongoing individual and/or group debriefing sessions as scheduled. Training and participation in these meetings are a mandatory requirement of volunteering for the program. Volunteers must agree to abide by the program's policy on confidentiality of privacy of information. Volunteers must adhere to the policies and philosophy of the program.
QUALIFICATIONS: Volunteers must have been a patient/ family caregiver recovering from the illness/ injury related to the mentorship relationship. Volunteers must be friendly, empathetic and have excellent interpersonal skills. Volunteers must be good listeners and communicators. Volunteers must be able to relate to patients and family members in a non-judgmental manner. Volunteers must exhibit appropriate boundaries when interacting with patients. Must have knowledge of and adherence to hospital policies concerning confidentiality, in relation to patients, physicians and other staff members. Quarterly Peer to Peer volunteer supporters must relay to volunteer and institute leaders themes of issues/ concerns experienced to ensure patient centered care support services are continuously improving.
The patient's right to privacy is guaranteed. Patients are oftentimes anxious, frightened, and apprehensive. Patience, understanding and compassion should be demonstrated when dealing with all patients. Volunteers are responsible for adhering to rules of the Nuvance Hospital system related to fire safety, infection control, and general safety. Volunteers must call the assigned Peer Support Supervisor when they are concerned about a family's emotional or physical well-being. If the Peer Support Supervisor is not immediately available, the Administrative House Manager should be contacted.
About Danbury Hospital
24 HOSPITAL AVE, DANBURY, CT 06810, US
Our mission is to improve the health of every person we serve through the efficient delivery of excellent, innovative and compassionate care. Danbury Hospital, part of the Western Connecticut Health Network, will be the preferred partner in health and provider of care for the communities we serve and will be among the most respected community healthcare systems in the nation.
At Danbury Hospital we are committed to providing you and your family with personalized care without compromise. For more than 130 years, we have been caring for residents throughout the Greater Danbury area.
Our patients are people first - we know them from school, places of worship and the community. That’s the benefit of care from our warm, inviting community hospital as opposed to a large, unfamiliar medical center.
* Excellence - We deliver the highest quality of care and service and surpass established standards through a continuous focus on improvement, innovation and education.
* Integrity - We approach our work with the highest standards of openness, honesty and ethical behavior, with freedom from any inappropriate influence or motive.
* Compassion - We serve others with empathy and a desire to alleviate their suffering while honoring each individual’s dignity and privacy.
* Teamwork - We work together in a cooperative, coordinated and supportive environment that places the team’s or organization’s goals ahead of individual goals.
* Fiscal Responsibility - We achieve our mission through efficient and effective use of our resources and personal accountability for ensuring financial integrity and performance.
24 Hospital Avenue6 SouthDanbury, CT 06810
August 9, 2021
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of six months of service at least once a week for one full shift. Timing to be decided based on the needs of the patient population.