7 people are interested
OMSI Submarine Queuing Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
Please visit the new page to apply.
7 people are interested
Position Summary: Submarine Queuers coordinate with the USS Blueback and Guest Services teams to assist visitors as they begin their tour experience of the USS Blueback submarine. In this particular period, answering questions and stating OMSI protocols as related to COVID-19 will be an important additional aspect of the volunteer opportunity. Detailed training related to these protocols will be provided to volunteers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Greet and welcome all submarine tour guests prior to their tour to share any pertinent information.
- Utilize a 2-way radio to communicate with submarine staff regarding the number of tour guests and arrival times.
- Coordinate with tour guides and guest services representatives to determine the number of tickets sold and people for each tour.
- Lead tour participants outside to the top of the boat ramp.
- Give clear and accurate information about other museum attractions and events, as well as an introduction to the history and story of the Blueback.
- When necessary, encourage parties to adhere to OMSI’s safety protocols, including social distancing and wearing protective face coverings.
- Interest in supporting the USS Blueback or submarine science education.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Comfortable speaking to 1-6 tour guests without the use of a microphone.
- Able to listen to and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds, education levels, and ages.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Able to maintain a calm and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
Schedule and Support:
- Shift Times: 10:00 to 1:30 pm or 1:30 to 5:00 pm
- Minimum number of hours: 8 hours per month, 4 hours per shift
- Minimum age: 18 years
- Attend the following trainings or classes provided by OMSI:
- Volunteer Orientation
- Emergency Protocols
- COVID-19 Safety training
- Customer Service training
- Role Specific training
- Training opportunities and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum exhibits and attractions based on availability.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants based on availability.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.
All are welcome at OMSI.
OMSI is committed to recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining individuals from a diverse candidate pool regardless of race, age, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, citizenship status, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion guide our process as we build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills so that we can better reflect and serve our community. We strongly invite applications from candidates who share our commitment to diversity.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
August 11, 2022
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Two 4 hour shifts per month, for minimum 9 months