Position Summary: The Planetarium Usher guides guests as they experience OMSI’s Kendall Planetarium shows, featuring a domed display of space and live commentary. Volunteers who have some experience with public speaking and customer service, as well as a passion for supporting space science, will enjoy this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet and welcome all planetarium guests prior to their show utilizing a microphone to share any pertinent information.
- Facilitate admittance into the planetarium utilizing timed tickets to allow limited seating inside.
- When necessary, encourage parties to adhere to OMSI’s safety protocols, including social distancing and wearing protective face coverings.
- During the show, monitor the audience for any safety concerns and escort guests out if they need to leave early.
- Assist the Space Science Educator as needed prior to, during, and after the show.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Interest in supporting astronomy or space science education.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Comfortable speaking to a large group with the use of a microphone.
- Able to listen to and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds, education levels, and ages.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Able to maintain a calm and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
Schedule and Support:
- Minimum number of hours: 10 hours per month, 5 hours per shift
- Minimum age: 18 years
- Attend the following trainings or classes provided by OMSI:
- Volunteer Orientation
- Emergency Protocols
- COVID-19 Safety training
- Customer Service training
- Role Specific training
- Training opportunities and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum exhibits and attractions based on availability.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.
All are welcome at OMSI.
OMSI is committed to recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining individuals from a diverse candidate pool regardless of race, age, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, citizenship status, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion guide our process as we build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills so that we can better reflect and serve our community. We strongly invite applications from candidates who share our commitment to diversity.
OMSI1945 SE Water AvePortland, OR 97214
August 8, 2021
- General Education
- Customer Service
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10 hours per month, 5 hours per shift