Social Studies Teacher
About the job
This is a volunteer role with openings available onboard Global Mercy, the world's largest civilian hospital ship that serves those in need in sub-Saharan Africa by providing free, life-saving surgeries and strengthening healthcare systems.
The Social Studies Teacher provides an engaging classroom within a multi-cultural and community-centered environment for learning and growing with children eleven to eighteen.
As a flexible individual, the Social Studies Teacher provides instruction through the lens of a Christian worldview to students on an array of history-related subjects. In addition, as an autonomous teacher, there is room to incorporate creative ideas using the diverse setting of the ship!
We have commitment lengths available for this role ranging from 6 to 18 months beginning in January 2022.
What You Will Contribute
- Create and deliver developmentally appropriate lesson plans for the social sciences: history, government, and economics
- Contribute to school rhythms, such as: staff meetings, student progress meetings, parent meetings, and professional development reading groups
- Maintain records of each students’ progress throughout the year with summative and formative assessment
- Demonstrate a readiness to help when needed with projects and events in the school
- Exemplify professionalism in and ability to prioritize your assignments and duties
- Ability to live in and contribute to community life, requiring stable and healthy interpersonal skills
For This Role, You Will Need
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in History or a related field
- Two years of classroom teaching experience is preferred
- Current teaching certificate is required
- Completion of Mercy Ships On Boarding program will be required
- Successful completion of the Child Safety Screening Process, which includes background / criminal records check
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications is required. Possess aptitude for learning new computer applications
About Mercy Ships
P.O. Box 2020, Lindale, TX 75771, US
We follow the 2000-year-old example of Jesus, bringing hope and healing to the world's forgotten poor.
Mercy Ships is a global charity that has been operating hospital ships in developing nations since 1978. Mercy Ships provides free life-changing surgeries to the poor and trains local medical professionals in safe surgery techniques in an effort to help end the world's safe surgery crisis.
On average, 1300 volunteers from over 50 nations serve onboard with Mercy Ships each year - whether they're surgeons or engineers, cooks or IT professionals, teachers or accountants, etc. Every role is critical to the success of our mission.
To volunteer with Mercy Ships, please submit an application online at apply.mercyships.org!
PO Box 2020Antwerp, Belgium
August 5, 2021
- General Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- People 55+
- 6 months