17 people are interested
Help a Child Fall in Love with Reading - Become a Virtual Reading Mentor to K-2nd graders
17 people are interested
How to Apply for the position - Apply by 8/15/2021
- Submit a volunteer application (this will also create a Better Impact account for you) - https://app.betterimpact.com/Application?ApplicationFormNumber=1&OrganizationGuid=709be655-d05b-4330-8ad6-94a248372d4b
- Login to Better Impact
- Click 'Opportunities' > 'Opportunity Calendar'
- Find & Sign Up for a Virtual StoryTent screening time that works with your schedule
- I will send you a calendar invite/reminder email before your screening day.
Do you love reading and think it is important for all children to develop reading skills? Become a Virtual Reading Mentor and read one-on-one with a student in K-2nd grader! (Video about the Virtual StoryTent program: https://youtu.be/tsFtl-orpl4)
Reading Mentors will facilitate weekly one-on-one video calls with their assigned reader on our Virtual Story Tent platform. During these meetings, Reading Mentors will be asked to read with the child, as well as distribute Book Bucks for each book the child has read. The earned Book Bucks can then be used by the reader to purchase prizes on our online Prize Portal. These prizes will be delivered to the readers free of charge!
Bethany Moberly (firstname.lastname@example.org)
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Traveling Stories
1240 E Plaza Blvd Suit 604 #430, National City, CA 91950, US
Traveling Stories empowers kids to outsmart poverty by helping them fall in love with reading by the 4th grade.
Traveling Stories is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that provides free reading support so that low-income families have the tools they need to break the cycle of poverty. We were established in 2010 by Emily Moberly, and exist to transform reluctant readers into confident ones. We specialize in making reading fun and believe that strong literacy skills are the most empowering gift we can give someone. Our StoryTent programs improve reading levels while also teaching families basic financial literacy skills. We inspire a love for reading while also strengthening children’s critical thinking skills and self-confidence.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
August 3, 2021
- Literacy / Reading
- Financial Literacy
- Youth Services
- Child Development
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- 1 hour per week for 6 weeks (Wednesday & Thursday 3, 4, or 5pm PDT or Tuesday 11am PDT)
- Love Reading! :D