57 people are interested
HELP (Hospital Elder Life Program) at CPMC Hospitals
ORGANIZATION: California Pacific Medical Center
Please visit the new page to apply.
57 people are interested
Organization's Mission and Values
The mission of HELP is to support hospitalized older adults with a comprehensive program of care designed to prevent delirium, maintain physical and cognitive function throughout hospitalization, maximize independence at discharge, and prevent unplanned readmission.
HELP was first started at Yale University by Dr. Sharon Inouye, who successfully showed that a program based in volunteerism could prevent falls, delirium, and long hospitalizations in older patients. HELP uses two branches to deliver patient-centered care: 1. an Advanced Practice RN to review medications and educate patients, families, and staff on potential hazards of hospitalization for older patients 2. an army of extremely well-trained volunteers to help mobilize patients, encourage nutrition and hydration, preserve sleep/wake cycles, and provide cognitively stimulating activities. HELP launched at CPMC's Pacific Campus in 2011 and has consistently shown decreased length of stay, readmissions, and falls in older patients. HELP has since grown to include the Pacific Campus transition to Van Ness, and the new Mission Bernal Campus at our Acute Care of the Elderly (ACE) Unit.
We would like to continue to expand the size of our volunteer program. This is an important goal because we would strive to improve the lives of patients who are our most vulnerable when hospitalized. By recruiting, training, and integrating well-trained and well-supported volunteers, we can achieve this goal. We know it is attainable because we have done it in the past at multiple campuses of CPMC. We would like to achieve this goal by the Spring of 2024. Our next training date will be in the Spring of 2024.
Volunteers will be trained in mobilizing patients; providing cognitively stimulating activity including music, comedy, puzzles, mindfulness, healing touch, and essential oils; preserving sleep-wake cycles by encouraging activity during day and rest at night; and providing patients with access they need to materials that will make their stay a successful one (pocket amplifiers, reading glasses, interpreter services).
Volunteers will be using their training to engage with hospitalized patients based on individual patient needs and priorities.
We have the perfect opportunity for you!!
The Hospitalized Elder Life Program (HELP) at CPMC offers daily in-person visits to hospitalized older adults by specially trained volunteers. The visits are individually tailored to the patients’ needs and the volunteers’ abilities.
- Prerequisites include a high school degree and in-person training. Once selected, online training modules, shadowing experienced volunteers, and a will to "HELP" others are required.
- Other prerequisites include meeting CPMC health requirements (including proof of vaccination against Covid-19).
- We request one block of three to four hours per week (with some flexibility around times and days), with a commitment of at least six months.
- This is a perfect opportunity for peer volunteering, as well as for those interested in professions in health care, but all are welcome and invited to learn more about us!
If you think this is for you:
Please email Swarna Arora, (Volunteer Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to a list for 2024.
Once the date is announced you will be informed and required to fill an application form, and be interviewed.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About California Pacific Medical Center
2333 Buchanan, 3700 California St.,, San Francisco, CA 94120, US
We serve our commuity by providing high quality, cost effective health care services in a compassionate and respectful environment, that is suppported and stimulated by education and research
Volunteers help lift the spirits of patients, families, friends and staff by providing hospitality, patient visits, and participating in special projects. The volunteers are the customer service ambassadors of the medical center.
Multiple locations San Francisco, CA 94110
September 28, 2023
- Cantonese / Mandarin
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Three to four hours per week with a commitment of at least six months to one year, completing at least 100 hours of volunteering.
- Please email Swarna Arora, (Volunteer Coordinator) at email@example.com. Write a paragraph about why you would like to work with seniors. What campus would you like to work at? Options are Van Ness / Mission Bernal