19 people are interested
Food Shelf Communications Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Foundation For Essential Needs
Please visit the new page to apply.
19 people are interested
Position: Food Shelf Communications
Volunteer Steward: Katie Bull, Director of Programs
Your Purpose and Impact:
Many Minnesota food shelves are volunteer run and don't have additional capacity to share about their programs and services. That's where you come in! This volunteer position ensures food shelves are equipped to effectively and consistently tell their story for a myriad of uses and communicate with community members and funders.
When matched to a food shelf you will be responsible for:
● Distilling organizational information to guide in funding prospect research and development of a Food Shelf Communications Template
● Reviewing Food Shelf Communications Template with the food shelf contact and/or FFEN Project Manager
● Creating and proposing a grant calendar
● Drafting language for specific grants as requested by the food shelf
● Supporting grant reports at conclusion of granting period, as needed
Skills you’ll need to be successful:
● Strong written communication skills
● Experience working in different communications strategies/platforms (social media, website, promotional materials)
● Experience writing grants is preferred, but not necessary
● Ability to work quickly and take initiative to meet project goal
● Curiosity and the ability to glean information from multiple sources
Your opportunity for growth:
● Directly support a food shelf in building organizational sustainability
● Develop your ability to craft concise content to convey organizational program work and broader impact
● Gain experience in grant prospecting and writing
● Broaden your knowledge of the hunger relief sector
Time Commitment and Logistics:
● Total Time Requirement: 4-6 hours per engagement. Engagements typically last 1-2 months and are assigned based on volunteer availability. 2-3 hour onboarding to FFEN (zoom meetings).
● Schedule: Some daytime availability may be required for conversations with food
● Technology: Must have access to a computer for writing, grant research and communication with food shelf contacts
● Work Site: Remote
To apply for this volunteer position, forward your resume and writing sample (blog post, grant, etc) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Foundation For Essential Needs
701 North 3rd Street, Suite 203, Minneapolis, MN 55401, US
Reshape the Minnesota Hunger Relief System.
Foundation For Essential Needs (FFEN) is an entrepreneurial, innovative and nimble nonprofit focused on increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of local food shelves. FFEN engages skilled, pro-bono volunteers to offer pragmatic, no-cost consultation and equipment improvements to food shelves adapting to meet the changing needs of their community. Since 2013, FFEN has positively impacted over 200 food shelves in Minnesota. This local work informs FFEN’s broader efforts in supporting both professional development opportunities and advocating for systems change at the local, regional and statewide levels. FFEN’s multi-level approach is essential to creating a statewide hunger relief sector that ensures both equitable access to healthy food and respect for the dignity of those who receive it.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
May 15, 2023
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Program Management
- Business Development
- Grant Writing / Research
- People Skills