DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
Coach a Community College Student in the Loop!
DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
One Million Degrees Scholars are individuals pursuing their associate degrees. They have persisted through challenging situations and are striving to reach their full potential and become positive forces in their families and communities. As an OMD Coach at Harold Washington College, you will bring a wealth of knowledge, experience, and support to an OMD Scholar.
OMD Coaches broaden horizons of career aspirations and possibilities, provide professional insights, model professional norms and behaviors, and encourage scholars through challenges and setbacks. They assist scholars in thoughtful goal-setting, celebrate successes with their scholar and ensure they do not fall short of their potential.
Continue reading to learn more about becoming an OMD coach or attend one of our info sessions: https://calendly.com/omdvolunteer/one-million-degrees-coach-info-session?month=2021-07
OMD Coach Qualifications:
- Have at least an associate degree (or equivalent work experience).
- Have a passion for supporting community college students with diverse backgrounds, coaching them through challenges, and celebrating their successes.
Once you submit an application, OMD staff will reach out to help you complete the following requirements to become an OMD Coach:
- Attend a coach info session (30-minute online session). Multiple info sessions are held throughout the application period, in the spring and summer.
- Attend coach training (two-hour session, virtual for summer 2020). Multiple coach trainings are held throughout August and September.
- Agree to a criminal background check and to abide by One Million Degrees’ Coach Code of Conduct.
Once you become an OMD Coach, you will be expected to:
- Schedule and participate in one 60-minute virtual Coaching Session per month with your scholar (October-May).
- Be available outside of monthly coaching sessions and commit to at least one phone or email exchange with your scholar per month.
- Submit a brief monthly activity report to One Million Degrees staff.
- Input scholar goals and deliverables using the OMD Coach Portal.
- Attend one 90-minute Diversity and Inclusion workshop.
- Notify your scholar and an OMD staff member if you are unable to attend a coach meeting or coaching session. Please note, OMD asks that coaches do not miss more than two coach meetings in an academic year.
OMD Coach benefits:
- Build valuable relationships with scholars.
- Grow professionally and personally as you mentor diverse and talented scholars.
- Be inspired by scholars' stories and perseverance.
- Expand your own professional network through connections with fellow coaches.
- Take advantage of regularly scheduled coach breakfasts featuring continued training, networking, and sharing of best practices.
- Gain understanding of and insight into diverse communities across Chicago and its suburbs.
About ONE MILLION DEGREES
180 N WABASH AVE STE 310, CHICAGO, IL 60601, US
One Million Degrees accelerates community college students’ progress on career pathways to economic mobility.
One Million Degrees is the only organization in Illinois and one of few in the country dedicated to providing comprehensive supports to low-income, highly motivated community college students to help them succeed in school, in work, and in life. From tutors and coaches to financial assistance and professional development, OMD offers the support that empowers scholars to transform their lives and those around them for generations. OMD Scholars graduate at twice the state average with the skills and experiences necessary to launch economically mobile careers.
Currently in its 12th year of programming, OMD continues to expand the number of scholars it supports to be a catalyst for change in Chicago. OMD partners with 10 Chicago-area community colleges, including the seven City Colleges of Chicago, Harper College, Prairie State College, and South Suburban College. OMD serves about 700 scholars across the region in the 2018-2019 academic year.
Harold Washington College30 E Lake St.Chicago, IL 60601
July 28, 2021
- Adult Education
- Life Coaching
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Schedule and participate in one 60-minute virtual Coaching Session per month with your scholar (October-May). Be available outside of monthly coaching sessions and commit to at least one phone or email exchange with your scholar per month.
- apply: https://onemilliondegrees.tfaforms.net/296471