DONATE TO THIS
6 people are interested
DONATE TO THIS
6 people are interested
The goal of the Garden Steward Position is to help the City of San Diego Parks and Recreation and Forever Balboa Park staff by assisting in routine garden maintenance of more than 20 magnificent gardens within Balboa Park. This volunteer position helps restore and maintain gardens to their historical and botanical glory.
Forever Balboa Park proudly partners with The San Diego Floral Association, the Friends of Balboa Park, and The Waterwise Gardener to provide botanical, horticultural, and landscape design experts to lead teams of volunteer Garden Stewards who work together to tend, host and enhance each public garden in the Park. Garden Stewards are asked to make a one-year minimum commitment to work in their assigned area once each week or in some cases once every other week and complete up to 8 hours of training. In efforts to track the return on investment, Garden Stewards are required to track their donated time through Volgistics software. Garden Stewards help with weeding, mulching, planting, dead-heading, and other routine garden maintenance. In some instances, Garden Stewards also serve as garden hosts, greeting visitors and answering their questions, providing a positive presence in the gardens where they are working.
- Monitoring the garden regularly
- Weed identification and removal/control and mulching
- Planting container stock and deadheading
- Perennial & annual flower and grass care
- Additional garden maintenance deemed appropriate by Parks and Recreation
- Acting as the eyes and ears for the Park and alerting staff of any maintenance or repairs required, irrigation issues, vandalism, etc.,
- Notifying conservancy staff of need for supplies and tools.
- Other Gardening duties as assigned
About FOREVER BALBOA PARK
1549 El Prado, Suite 1, SAN DIEGO, CA 92101, US
To provide expertise, advocacy and resources to envision, enhance and sustain Balboa Park for all visitors in partnership with the City of San Diego and in collaboration with other organizations in the Park and the community.
The Balboa Park Conservancy was formed in 2011 as a public-benefit 501(c)3 nonprofit organization to raise funds, develop public-private partnerships, and collaborate with Balboa Park stakeholders to address sustainability and accessibility needs in the Park. The impetus behind the Balboa Park Conservancy’s formation was a growing backlog of deferred maintenance projects at a time when the city’s limited resources, exacerbated by the Great Recession, were proving inadequate to properly maintain and care for the 1,200-acre park.
Since its formation, the Forever Balboa Park has worked with the City of San Diego Parks and Recreation Department and other partners to plant more than 500 trees throughout Balboa Park, activate the Plaza de Panama into a vibrant hub of community activity through creative placemaking, and expand the volunteer corps to include Tree Stewards, Garden Stewards and Park Ambassadors. The Conservancy has developed and uses data driven tools like the Tree Inventory, Cultural Landscape Report and Balboa Park Benefits Study to advocate for the greater good of the park and help prioritize key projects.
1549 El PradoSan Diego, CA 92101
August 7, 2021
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Education
- People 55+
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- - Up to 8 hours of orientation and training - At least two multi-hour shifts per month; 4-6 hours/week preferred - 1-year commitment to the role
- - Passionate about plants and gardens - Able to walk, bend, and kneel to perform basic gardening tasks - Interested in learning to identify different plants and weeds - Able to remain outdoors during a 2-4-hour shift