1 person is interested
VOLUNTEER- Red Cross Shelter Volunteer (Adams County)
ORGANIZATION: American Red Cross - Greater Pennsylvania Region
Please visit the new page to apply.
1 person is interested
The role of Sheltering Service Associate is to serve as a member of a temporary work unit on a disaster relief operation to successfully complete their assigned areas of responsibility on a disaster relief operation. They ensure safe sheltering at a single shelter throughout the cycle of the disaster.
- Serve as a shelter worker on a disaster relief operation. Roles may include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information, or other areas within a shelter.
- Meeting disaster-caused sheltering needs of individuals, families, and communities.
- Providing services with kindness and compassion that are accessible and equitable to all clients.
- Maintaining clear communication and collaboration with supervisor and peers.
- Ensuring accuracy in all assigned tasks.
- Providing accurate reporting of sheltering activity as assigned.
Regional responses: Shift work determined by the scale of the relief operation; a minimum requirement of 8-12 hours per day during the disaster relief operation for multiple, consecutive days.* Beyond Regional responses: 12-14 hour days for extended periods depending on distance. Time and length of commitment will vary by operation (MUST BE WILLING TO DEPLOY TO A SHELTER FOR APPROXIMATELY 14 DAYS)
- Ability to function in a dynamic and stressful environment with little or no supervision, adapting to change, negotiating compromise, and tolerating ambiguity.
- Ability to apply basic food safety in all feeding areas.
- Ability to organize, plan, and allocate resource while using materials and space effectively.
- Ability to participate and contribute in regular meetings.
- Good organizational skills, responsible and punctual.
- Active listening skills and ability to work well with others.
- Ability to implement Standards and Procedures and follow associated job tools including reporting requirements.
- Ability to interact with community members in a clear, compassionate manner, respectful of diversity and unique needs.
- Ability to involve appropriate others in managing problems and conflict.
- Ability to acquire, evaluate, and report information accurately.
- Customer Focus: Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Action Oriented: Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Values Differences: Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Ability to lift / carry 20 lbs. multiple times/shift.
- Ability to stand and or sit for two-hour periods.
- Ability to bend or stoop multiple times.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather, extreme heat and/or humidity and/or extreme cold.
- Ability to step up/down 18 inches and climb two or more flights of stairs.
- Ability to speak clearly on phone and in person.
- Ability to drive in day time and at night.
About American Red Cross - Greater Pennsylvania Region
701 Centre Ave., Reading, PA 19601, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
The American Red Cross exists to provide compassionate care to those in need. Our network of generous donors, volunteers and employees share a mission of preventing and relieving suffering, here at home and around the world, through five key service areas:
Supporting America's Military Families
Collect lifesaving blood
Health and Safety
Multiple locations Gettysburg, PA 17325
June 27, 2022
- Disaster Relief Care & Shelters
- Disaster Response
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 12 hour shifts; must be willing to deploy for approximately 2 weeks and work in a shelter