American Sign Language (ASL) - Volunteers Wanted
YAI is a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to providing innovative services for people in the intellectual and/or developmental disability (I/DD) community. Since our founding in 1957, we have been driven by our mission of living, loving, working, learning, and seeing beyond disability. Empowering the people we support to reach their goals is at the heart of our organization.
Volunteers support YAI’s core mission by taking part in established programming and events, as well as by creating new opportunities for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) to live, love, work, and learn.
- Volunteer Opportunity: At YAI we are looking for volunteers who can support activities for members of the I/DD community. We are especially in need of volunteers who can utilize their ASL skills to interpret and socialize with the people that we support.
- Qualifications: Fluent/proficient in ASL; experience using ASL to communicate with members of the Deaf/Non-Verbal community.
- Time Commitment: Flexible
- Location: YAI has locations in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Long Island, Hudson Valley, and North New Jersey. We also have opportunities to volunteer virtually.
- Next Step: Please fill out a volunteer application at https://www.yai.org/get-involved/volunteer/apply and make sure to note your ASL skills in the application. After completing the application a YAI Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to learn more about your interests in volunteering.
- Contact: If you have any questions or for more information please contact Volunteer@YAI.org
220 East 42nd Street, New York, NY 10017, US
YAI is a network of agencies offering children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities a comprehensive range of services. YAI is committed to seeing beyond disability, providing opportunities for people to live, love, work, and learn in their communities.
Founded in 1957, YAI remains at the forefront of an extraordinary movement aimed at empowering the people we support and their families. YAI’s workforce of more than 4,000 employees provides a comprehensive range of services and supports, including supportive housing, education, medical, dental, and mental health care, job training, community integration, and social enrichment for more than 20,000 people with intellectual and developmental disabilities throughout downstate New York and northern New Jersey.
Multiple locations Brentwood, NY 11717
September 17, 2021
- American Sign Language
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Special Needs
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training