3 people are interested
Adult Education Tutor (Adult Education or English Language Learning)
ORGANIZATION: Fox Valley Literacy Council
Please visit the new page to apply.
3 people are interested
Do you believe in the importance of education? Become a tutor! Our students need support in Basic Literacy or in English Language Learning (reading, writing, spelling, comprehension, and conversation skills). A teaching background or foreign language is not required. Training is provided. You can meet in person in our classrooms, online, or in any public space with your student.
- Be flexible, friendly, patient, and optimistic
- Be dependable and prompt
- Be able to maintain confidentiality about learner information and the work you do together
- Have a sense of humor!
- Complete tutor training workshop and online modules
- Work one-on-one with a learner for a minimum of nine months
- Meet weekly or monthly with a learner for 1 to 3 hours in a neutral, public place such as a public library or Fox Valley Literacy office
- Inform the learner about Fox Valley Literacy’s testing requirements and encourage participation
- Communicate with staff regularly to discuss goal setting, share concerns, and celebrate goal attainment
- Be responsible for the return of books and materials taken from Fox Valley Literacy’s library
- Spend approximately one hour per week preparing for lessons
- Report monthly learner progress by turning in your tutor calendar
- A greater understanding and appreciation of diverse cultures and lifestyles
- A greater feeling of involvement in the community
- A better understanding of the problems of illiteracy
- Knowledge of methods and strategies for helping adults
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Fox Valley Literacy Council
130 E. Franklin St., Appleton, WI 54911, US
Fox Valley Literacy is a community based non profit that provides client focused adult literacy instruction to adults in the Fox Cities and surrounding areas. We partner with people who desire to improve their adult basic education or English language learning skills. We believe that a persons quality of life is improved through literacy in the ability to read for pleasure, achieve educational and work goals, and become an active community member.
We believe that volunteers heavily impact our community. In our program volunteers are trained to work with adult community members and improve literacy skills. Volunteers tutor reading, writing, spelling, GED prep, and English language skills. recruits and trains volunteers to become literacy tutors. Our volunteers feel "they have learned more from their students, than they feel they have taught them." If you are looking for a meaningful and community impacting volunteer experience Fox Valley Literacry is the organization for you!
130 East Franklin StreetAppleton, WI 54911
July 18, 2022
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- at least 1 hour per week to meet with your student, It can be online or in-person