2 people are interested
Volunteer at a VA Hospital in Wilkes-Barre, PA
2 people are interested
Join our team and volunteer at a VA Hospital! This is a great way to help the military community.
What you will be doing as a VA Rep:
- Maintain inventory of recording equipment/tablets, children’s books and related supplies. Supplies will be kept at the VA facility.
- Facilitate the recording of Veterans reading books to children in their life by assisting the Veteran with picking out an appropriate children’s books, setting up the recording device, and attending to any other needs that may come up related to the recording.
- Timely reporting to United Through Reading after a recording session is completed. This will include uploading the recording to UTR website, arranging for the recording to be emailed to the child’s family, and arranging for the mailing of a copy of the book that was read. In addition, tracking forms will need to be completed and sent to UTR.
Red Cross Volunteer On-Boarding Process
- Complete the Red Cross Volunteer application and on-boarding process.
- Participate in an orientation and training session(s) provided by Red Cross Volunteer Leadership for the Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center.
Wilkes-Barre VA Hospital On-Boarding Process
- Complete the Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center on-boarding application, background check, finger printing and a TB test.
United Through Reading is a nonprofit organization with more than 30 years’ experience supporting Military and Veteran Families.
The United Through Reading Program provides an opportunity for Service Members and Veterans to stay connected with the children in their lives during times of physical separation through video recorded Storytime.
The Storytime boosts morale and strengthens family bonds to reduce reintegration difficulties for Service Members and isolation of Veterans in care facilities.
The program is free to all who participate, and the child will receive a copy of the recording and a copy of the book that is being read to them so that they can read along.
United Through Reading and the American Red Cross have partnered to bring this program to our Veterans at the Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center. By volunteering to help with this program you are supporting the Red Cross and Veterans in our community.
About American Red Cross of Greater Pennsylvania Region
256 N Sherman St., WilkesBarre, PA 18702, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
The American Red Cross, through its strong network of volunteers, donors and partners, is always there in times of need. We aspire to turn compassion into action so that...
...all people affected by disaster across the country and around the world receive care, shelter and hope;
...our communities are ready and prepared for disasters;
...everyone in our country has access to safe, lifesaving blood and blood products;
...all members of our armed services and their families find support and comfort whenever needed; and
...in an emergency, there are always trained individuals nearby, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives.
Wilkes Barre VA Medical Center1111 East End BlvdWilkes-Barre, PA 18711
September 19, 2021
- Customer Service
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Two hours a day, two days a week