3 people are interested
ESL Tutor Coordination Intern for Refugee-centric Nonprofit
3 people are interested
INTERN OPPORTUNITY DESCRIPTION:
Title: ESL Tutor Coordination Intern
Work location: Virtual
Reports To: ESL Instructor and Outreach Manager
Length: September 2021-June 2022
Minimum commitment: 15h/week for 4 months
This position works in coordination with the ESL Instructor and Outreach Manger to set up trainings, match ESL tutors with refugee clients, and provide ongoing support to ESL tutors. This position also tutors at least one refugee client to get hands-on experience with ESL literacy tutoring. An ideal candidate will have an interest in languages, literacy, and/or education.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Help with set up and follow up for ESL tutor trainings
- Arrange tutors’ classroom observations and debriefs
- Set up meet-and-greets with ESL tutors and clients
- Track ESL tutors and clients throughout their term of service
- Conduct regular feedback sessions with volunteer tutors and/or clients
- Monitor Track-It-Forward recording volunteer hours
- Maintain close communication with ESL Instructor and Outreach Manager
- Create and implement lessons in one-on-one tutoring with a refugee client
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Technical Skills: Ability to navigate MS platforms (Outlook and Teams) for communication and scheduling. Can schedule and host Zoom calls
Able to take initiative, work independently, and manage competing priorities/schedules
Strong organizational skills and attention to details
Experience with cross-cultural communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to work with interpreters as needed
Knowledge of World Relief
Confidentiality and Professionalism
- Committed to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief
- Desire to serve and empower the Church to impact vulnerable communities
- Must go through WRS’s Volunteer Orientation and ESL tutoring training
- Education background or cross-cultural language experience highly desired
- Spoken Dari, Pashto, or Farsi language skills strongly preferred
- General remote office setting.
- Great lengths of time working on computer, reading from computer screen, entering information, standing at copier or fax machine, and some time on the phone or in skype meetings may be required.
- Year-end archiving activities involve repeated lifting and bending.
- Physical, emotional and intellectual demands
- Equipment used: intern computer (desktop or laptop), printer, and copier.
About World Relief
4616 Roseville Rd, North Highlands, CA 95660, US
to work with, for and from the church to relieve human suffering, poverty and hunger worldwide in the name of Jesus Christ
World Relief Sacramento assists with everything from initial refugee resettlement to children and youth programs, women's empowerment, employment, and immigrant and legal services, we aim to provide a supported network and create strong sense of community in the local Sacramento area.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
July 16, 2021
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Background Check
- September 2021 - June 2022, 15 hrs/week