4 people are interested
Food and Beverage/Culinary Arts Principal Instructor- Bocas del Toro
4 people are interested
The Back Bay Project is a nonprofit organization based in the USA, and runs a Hospitality Training Program located in Bocas del Toro, Panamá. We select student from marginalized communities, and offer vocational skills training in the areas largest economic sector, hospitality.
The Back Bay Project’s Mission is to provide access to opportunity in the community of Bocas del Toro, Panama through vocational training in sustainable hospitality, while promoting environmental awareness and cultural integrity.
In July, 2021, we launched our inaugural class of 12 students, beginning with a 6 week intensive language course focused on English used in the tourism industry. After that, our students will gain 2 weeks of foundational knowledge of the hospitality industry before going into one of two disciplines; Culinary Arts, or Food and Beverage, for the next 8 weeks. Throughout the entire program, students will also receive training in areas such as environmental and cultural awareness, permaculture, and life skills.
We are recruiting hospitality professionals to lead each program through the 8 weeks as the principal instructor for that discipline. The principal instructor will collaborate with the board of directors and advisors to develop the curriculum, deliver training materials, create engaging training activities, and keep the course focused on the desired learning outcomes.
The ideal candidate:
- Minimum of 7 years experience either in a kitchen (minimum 4 as a chef) OR a FOH supervisory and/or leadership role, preferably with bartending/bar management experience.
- Continuing education in hospitality desired but not required
- Desire to contribute to the sustainable growth of an emerging hospitality industry, and provide opportunity to the local community.
- Flexible and can think on their feet
- Be "Creatively Resourceful"- Bocas does not always have everything you need when you need it!
- Fluent in English and Spanish with ability to read, write, translate, and switch languages while teaching.
- Available to be located in Bocas del Toro for the whole term
- Pass a criminal background check
- Obtain travel insurance for their stay
- Salary commensurate with experience and local cost of living
- Housing/accommodations will be provided for the entire term
- *Some meals and excursions will be included, on days when teaching or student activities
- Some local transportation included, on days when teaching or student activities.
- Living in paradise and a warm and fuzzy feeling of doing good for a truly amazing community!
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About The Back Bay Project, Inc
8325 NE 2nd Ave Ste 330, Miami, FL 33138, US
The Back Bay Project’s mission is to provide access to opportunity in the native and Indigenous communities of Bocas del Toro, Panama through vocational training in Sustainable Hospitality, and promoting Environmental Awareness, and Cultural Integrity
Rapid growth of tourism in Bocas del Toro provides economic opportunity for native and indigenous communities, but only if they are supported with the vocational and language skills to succeed in the expanding hospitality industry. The Back Bay Project’s support is the foundation for a community-led, environmental and culturally responsible tourism industry for years to come. We operate both in the US and Panama, and are a Florida registered nonprofit, tax-exempt charitable organization (tax ID number 84-2700332) under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
A key pillar of our program relies on US and global skilled hospitality volunteers, educational institutions, and hospitality companies to share knowledge, insight, and experience with the program trainee’s, forming a global network of hospitality professionals, and giving our organization an avenue to fund key training programs. We strive to ensure that volunteers not only provide meaningful insight and experience for our trainee’s, but also to provide volunteers with a rich cultural experience increasing their global awareness and appreciation. Our founders are a group of passionate, like-minded hospitality professionals with a shared love for the community of Bocas del Toro and a desire to contribute positively to the future of this beautiful, bio-diverse place. We hope to provide a foundation for the Bocas hospitality community to build a future of tourism, ensuring the conservation and protection of their culture and environment.
Isla ColonBocas del Toro, Bocas del Toro Panama
July 14, 2021
- Teaching / Instruction
- Cooking / Catering
- Food & Beverage Services
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- A minimum of 2.5 months on-site for the in-person training of the course. Classes are held 3-4 days per week for 4 hours daily, and occasionally include outings and off-site workshops and activities.