31 people are interested
Volunteers to help refugees apply for college
31 people are interested
JaxTHRIVE is a youth-led, non-profit organization with a mission to educate and inspire refugee, homeless and low income children. For this summer/fall of 2021, we are offering virtual mentoring opportunities to help students apply for college or trade school and research financial aid and scholarship information. We are asking mentors to commit to at least one hour each week during a time that is convenient to both the student and the mentor.
How does the program work?
Each volunteer must commit to meeting with their mentee for at least 1 hour per week for the duration of the program, attend a virtual orientation program, and provide the program director with feedback throughout the term. Volunteers can negotiate their own schedule (AM or PM)
As a mentor, you will:
- Reach out to your student at least once each week.
- Help your student research colleges/trade schools, financial aid and scholarship information.
- Take on a leadership role.
- Prepare for your future career by gaining valuable resume-building experience.
- Make a difference in someone’s life.
- Receive service hours in the form of a detailed report that can be emailed to your school.
To participate, you must:
- Volunteer for a minimum of 1 hour per week.
- Be fluent in both written and spoken English.
- Be willing to reach out to academic and financial aid institutions.
- Be patient and open-minded.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About JAXTHRIVE INC
380 CLEARWATER DR, PONTE VEDRA, FL 32082, US
JaxTHRIVE is a welcoming resource to refugee and low income students who have come to this country under extraordinary circumstances. Our aim is to provide a nurturing environment where tutoring, life skills mentoring, and friendship help them advance in the classroom and flourish in our community.
JaxTHRIVE is a youth-led, non-profit organization with a mission to educate and inspire refugee and low income children. We meet each Saturday during the academic year to tutor refugee students in vocabulary, reading, math and STEM. JaxTHRIVE is made possible by the generosity of donors as well as the energy and commitment of volunteers.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
July 14, 2021
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Each volunteer must commit to meeting with their mentee for at least 1 hour per week for the duration of the program, attend a virtual orientation program, and provide the program director with feedback throughout the term.
- A positive attitude and an open mind!