DONATE TO THIS
5 people are interested
Economic Opportunity Coordinator VISTA
DONATE TO THIS
5 people are interested
To achieve our vision in these times, HANDS recognizes that we must take on a driving force behind an array of interconnected impediments to revitalization: the huge and growing disparity in wealth and income between residents of cities like Orange and residents of more affluent towns. We are linking our longstanding commitment to addressing the lack of decent affordable housing with new efforts on the economic development front to build personal, family and neighborhood income and wealth in the neighborhoods we serve. The task before us is to empower business owners, homeowners and everyday residents to take control of their financial future. In the past year we piloted programs to aid small businesses with training and access to capital, assist homeowners to maintain and enhance their largest asset, help individuals and families to increase their capability to accumulate savings and plan their financial future. This year, we will evaluate, adjust and grow these programs. Our VISTA fellow will enhance our capacity to execute well-designed initiatives to help individuals and businesses generate and sustain wealth.
The VISTA member will help staff boost organizational capacity to assess economic challenges and opportunities and design, develop and revise strategies that businesses can use to become profitable and homeowners and other residents can use to bolster finances and grow wealth. The successful candidate will be able to:
(1) Develop/revise surveys for new/established small businesses, assess their financial strengths and challenges and develop a portfolio of trainers and service providers to meet their needs.
(2) Develop/revise surveys for residents to assess their financial challenges and opportunities and curate a suite of workshops and services to meet their needs.
(3) Work with homeowners on a home improvement grants program and develop/revise a list of qualified contractors designed to increase the livability and the value of their dwellings.
(4) Research the best ways to incorporate these findings and resources into a robust wealth creation capability within the organization.
Conversational Spanish desired. Car helpful but not required. Current work environment: hybrid of remote/in-person and subject to change.
09:00 AM to 05:00 PM
FULL TIME VISTA SERVICE POSITION FOR ONE YEAR starting August 30, 2021
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About HOUSING AND NEIGHBORHOOD DEVELOPMENT SERVICES INC
15 SOUTH ESSEX AVE, REAR, ORANGE, NJ 07050, US
HANDS' mission is to keep the neighborhoods of Orange and East Orange places where people can and do choose to raise their family and run their business. We amplify neighborhood voices and implement the ideas that elevate the quality of community life. HANDS invests expertise and funds in places where the private sector sees insufficient return and in projects that the public sector has not yet prioritized.
Housing and Neighborhood Development Services, Inc. (HANDS) is a 35-year-old nonprofit recognized as an innovator in resident-driven neighborhood revitalization. We work in Orange, NJ and nearby to amplify the underappreciated strengths of income-constrained residents and organizations. Our goal is to help them build up and sustain healthy neighborhoods that provide economic, educational and cultural opportunities and outcomes rivaling those found in more affluent towns and cities.
We work toward our vision by building safe and healthy affordable housing for residents and affordable commercial space for entrepreneurs and small businesses. We bolster our economic development activity with innovative community empowerment initiatives that seek to inspire neighbors to cultivate their inherent assets to help build a JUST and BEAUTIFUL CITY.To achieve that vision in these times, HANDS recognizes that we must take on a driving force behind an array of interconnected impediments to revitalization: the huge and growing disparity in wealth and income between residents of cities like Orange and residents of more affluent towns. We are linking our longstanding commitment to addressing the lack of decent affordable housing with new efforts on the economic development front to build personal, family and neighborhood income and wealth in the neighborhoods we serve.
15 S. Essex AvenueOrange, NJ 07050
June 30, 2021
- Financial Literacy
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Business Development
- Home Repair
- Project Management
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- This is a full time VISTA service position for one year starting on August 30, 2021
- The AmeriCorps VISTA member receives a stipend of approx. $16,670 and benefits. See full description at: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=104888 Applicants MUST apply through the AmeriCorps website.