Volunteer staff in this position are key to excellent customer service by making it possible for patrons and circulation desk volunteers to locate books and media. Attention to detail and accuracy are essential.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains customer confidentiality and patron privacy.
- Upholds all library policies and procedures of the Keizer Community Library.
- Maintains good relationships with circulation desk volunteers and volunteers who catalog the library’s materials.
- Sorts library media by section to be shelved and identifiers on the spine label.
- Places library media on the shelf in the correct location with attention to numeric or alphabetic detail and sequence, often following the sequence through several levels. Ensures that the item is placed correctly in relationship to the other items on the shelf.
- Identifies items on the shelf that are mis-filed and corrects the problem during regular shelving activities.
- Conducts reviews of items on the shelf to identify mis-filed items and corrects the problem.Regularly performs shelf reading of collection to identify mis-filed items and correct the problems.
- Prints lists of "on shelf" items from the library management system, compares the list to the shelves, and takes corrective action as needed.
- Identifies items with spine label errors, notes the apparent error, and routes them to cataloging for further action.
- Attends periodic training as requested.
Key Working Relationships: Works with Library Manager and is a member of the Collection Committee. Works with circulation desk volunteers, and volunteers who catalog books and media for the library’s shelves.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to maintain patron privacy and confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently as well as cooperatively with co-workers to complete routine tasks.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn alphabetical and numerical shelving systems
- Sufficient keyboarding skills to effectively access and enter information on a computer using the library’s data system.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to shift books and media on library shelves by moving a sequence of shelved items.
- Ability to bend, reach, and lift books and other materials either one or several at a time.
About KEIZER COMMUNITY LIBRARY INC
980 CHEMAWA RD NE, KEIZER, OR 97303, US
Keizer Community Library is a dynamic organization that enhances the lives of patrons by connecting them to the world’s wisdom, knowledge, and culture through open access to information and creative expression in many formats.
Established in 1988, Keizer Community Library is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, not tax supported by the city of Keizer
With thanks to members of our community, the majority of the books, computers, CDs/DVDs, shelving and furnishings have all been donated. All monetary donations, funds raised, and Library card fees go toward the costs of running the library. And, demonstrating Keizer’s pride, spirit, and volunteerism in action... the Library is run by an all-volunteer staff! The friendly person at the circulation desk is a volunteer, programs are coordinated and provided by volunteers, our Library Manager, the Library’s Governing Board are volunteers as well!
980 Chemawa Road NEKeizerKeizer, OR 97303
September 9, 2021
- General Education
- Administrative Support
- Basic Computer Skills
- Problem Solving
- Orientation or Training
- Weekly - two hour shift
- Ability to shift books and media on library shelves. Ability to bend, reach, and lift books and other materials either one or several at a time.