33 people are interested
Balboa Park Tree Steward
ORGANIZATION: Forever Balboa Park
Please visit the new page to apply.
33 people are interested
The primary role of Tree Stewards is to help monitor young trees in Balboa Park. This will include checking for vandalism of trees, general health conditions of existing trees, soil moisture surrounding new trees, including identifying irrigation needs, and possible infestations. Tree Stewards will also be assigned a tree zone containing roughly 30-40 trees with some exceptions and will check on the trees each month. Additionally, Tree Stewards have the opportunity to participate in regularly scheduled maintenance shifts.
Activities and Responsibilities:
- Monitor newly planted trees in designated Tree Zone using items provided by Balboa Park Conservancy
- Become familiar with chosen Tree Zone
- Check each tree within Tree Zone each month using the checklist printed or via the San Diego Tree Tracker in Open Tree Map
- Act as the eyes and ears of the City of San Diego Park and Recreation Department and alert Conservancy staff of concerns in designated zone of the Park.
- Optional Tree Maintenance Shifts:
- Weed, build berms, and mulch trees
- Install tree stakes
- Meet like-minded professionals and volunteers and be a part of a team that supports environmental sustainability and human health
- Receive free training for proficiency in planting, watering, and monitoring the San Diego region’s trees
- Receive formal certification for each skill set you master
- Contribute to a resilient urban forest in one of the world’s most iconic parks
- Leave a legacy for future generations
- Invitation to Balboa Park Conservancy’s annual Volunteer Appreciation event and holiday party
About Forever Balboa Park
1549 EL PRADO STE 1, SAN DIEGO, CA 92101, US
The Balboa Park Conservancy provides expertise, advocacy and resources to envision, enhance and sustain Balboa Park for all visitors in partnership with the City of San Diego and in collaboration with other organizations in the Park and the community.
We bring the skills, experience, knowledge and leadership of our expert staff, diverse board of trustees and professional network to build community and deepen impact. We use our voice, influence and connections with park stakeholders, government officials, and community and business leaders to advocate for the best version of Balboa Park possible. We provide staff, volunteers, materials, data, funding and other critical resources to serve priority park initiatives.
1549 El PradoSan Diego, CA 92101
September 15, 2022
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- - 6-8 hours each month in 2-4 hour shifts - Up to 10 hours of orientation and training - 1-year commitment
- - Interested in learning to identify different trees - Able to walk around assigned area to monitor trees - Able to remain outdoors during your shift - Willing to complete a background check and fingerprinting (at no cost to you)