Classroom Support - Edison Dreamery Center
ORGANIZATION: YWCA OF KALAMAZOO
Please visit the new page to apply.
Volunteer Position: Classroom Support - Academic Friend
Department: Improving Lives of children
Program: The Dreamery Centers
Director: Site Director Early Learning
Position Location: Edison Dreamery
Position Hours: Flexible shifts available
Eliminate racism, empower women, and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
The Academic Friend provides classroom support to teachers and helps create an engaging learning environment for children. You will assist and supervise activities such as reading to children, leading arts and crafts, supervising during playtime and outdoor time, and much more. This position is great for those who enjoy working with children and have lots of energy.
- Must be 18 years of age, or
- 17 years of age and enrolled in vocational classes in Early Childhood Education
- Must be able to relate to and engage well with children
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to work with people of diverse backgrounds
- TB Test is contingent on the number of volunteer hours. YWCA pays for test
- A fingerprint test may be required. Contingent upon volunteer hours per week YWCA pays for fingerprints
Statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
- Provide educational assistance to teachers as needed.
- Read to and engage children with age-appropriate activities
- Supervise Rest and Relaxation Time.
- Assist with snacks/meals.
- Assist with classroom sanitation and clean-up.
- Safeguard confidential information gained as a result of the volunteer position
- Provide first aid as needed.
- Provide a positive, safe, and supportive environment for YWCA children.
- Volunteer Orientation.
- Classroom and Program Orientation
Child Care Licensing Rules:
R 400.8125 volunteer requirements. Rule 125. (1) All volunteers shall provide appropriate care and supervision of children at all times. (2) All volunteers shall act in a manner that is conducive to the welfare of children. (3) All supervised volunteers shall receive a public sex offender registry (PSOR) clearance before having any contact with a child in care. A copy of this clearance must be kept on file at the center. (4) A licensee shall have a written policy regarding the screening and supervision of volunteers, including volunteers who are parents of a child in care. The policy must include a statement that any individual registered on the public sex offender registry (PSOR) is prohibited from having contact with any child in care. (5) A written statement must be signed and dated by volunteers before volunteering indicating all of the following information: (a) The individual is aware that abuse and neglect of children are against the law. (b) The individual has been informed of the center’s policies on child abuse and neglect. (c) The individual knows that all staff and volunteers are required by law to immediately report suspected abuse and neglect to children’s protective services.
R 400.8128 Staff; volunteer; tuberculosis. Rule 128. A center shall keep on file at the center evidence to verify that each child care staff member and each volunteer who has contact with children at least 4 hours per week for more than 2 consecutive weeks is free from communicable tuberculosis (TB). Verification of TB status is required within 1 year before employment or volunteering. History: 2013 AACS; 2019 AACS. R 400.8131 Professional development requirements. Rule 131. (1) The center shall provide an orientation about the center’s policies and practices and these administrative rules.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About YWCA OF KALAMAZOO
353 E. Michigan Avenue, 1155 Portage Road, Kalamazoo, MI 49007, US
YWCA Kalamazoo is on a mission to eliminate racism, empower women, stand up for social justice, help families, and strengthen communities.
YWCA Kalamazoo serves as a primary resource for economic, gender, and racial justice for all women and girls in Kalamazoo. We have been at the forefront of the most pressing social movements for more than 150 years- from voting rights to civil rights, from affordable housing to pay equity, from violence prevention to health care reform.
Today we combine programming and advocacy in order to generate institutional change in three key areas: racial justice, civil rights, empowerment and economic advancement of women and girls, and health and safety of women and girls
1101 Portage StreetEdison Child Care CenterKalamazooKalamazoo, MI 49001
July 6, 2023
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Child Development
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- The Edison Dreamery Center is looking for volunteers for 2+ hour shifts Monday - Friday. Our busiest hours are from 1 pm to 6 pm.
- TB test, Fingerprinting may be required based on the number of volunteer hours per week. YWCA covers the cost of both tests