10 people are interested
Family Literacy Program- PreK Readiness Assistant
ORGANIZATION: Integrated Refugee and Immigrant Services (IRIS)
Please visit the new page to apply.
10 people are interested
❖ Requirements: Ability to work in a group with the lead teacher to engage children ages 2-4.5 in activities. Ability to facilitate a center learning activity with 2-3 kids. Willingness to learn language teaching techniques. Maintain healthy boundaries in being an assistant teacher in an educational setting. Upbeat fun attitude when working with children.
- Maintain a safe learning environment.
- Assist with the setup and cleanup of activities, including snack time.
- Facilitate activities planned by the lead teachers.
- Guide children in group activities led by lead teachers and teach center mini lessons focused on language, early numeracy, science, or social skills.
- Encourage child to child interaction and communication by interacting with pairs or groups of children.
- Teach language explicitly by having children repeat names of objects, phrases, and songs. Narrate what children are doing to provide rich language in context.
- Use positive discipline and common classroom language to limit the use of "no" in favor of specific positive behaviors.
- Help children and mothers transition between activities and spaces as needed.
- Help mothers engage with their children during the interactive literacy activities.
- Communicate with IRIS interns and lead teachers regarding concerns for mothers and children.
- Document progress and incidents.
- morning / 09:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About Integrated Refugee and Immigrant Services (IRIS)
235 Nicoll St, New Haven, CT 06511, US
The mission of IRIS is to enable refugees and other displaced people to establish new lives, regain hope, and contribute to the vitality of Connecticut’s communities.
In fiscal year 2016, the U.S. government invited 97,263 refugees from all over the world to come to this country. Over 900 came to Connecticut, where they were placed with one of three refugee agencies, including IRIS, which welcomed 475. Their needs are significant and IRIS is their primary resource as they begin to rebuild their lives after years of persecution and displacement. IRIS helps refugees on the road to self-sufficiency by providing lifesaving support during their transition to life in the United States
IRIS provides a wide array of services to these new Americans including daily English lessons, education and youth programs, access to health care and a thorough multi-day cultural orientation. IRIS also works intensively with each new arrival to begin the important work of finding employment. IRIS attempts to meet all of the needs of its clients by providing extra services including a women’s group and a variety of young people’s groups. And if family members have been left behind, our legal office will work to reunite them.
181 Mitchell DriveWilbur Cross High SchoolNew Haven, CT 06511
December 15, 2022
- Teaching / Instruction
- Youth Services
- Child Care
- Child Development