4 people are interested
Volunteer Hotline Advocates Needed
ORGANIZATION: ALTERNATIVE HORIZONS CORPORATION
Please visit the new page to apply.
4 people are interested
Alternative Horizons is looking for individuals that would be interested in becoming volunteer advocates on our 24 hour hotline.
Become a Volunteer Hotline Advocate
- Alternative Horizon needs 15 or more ongoing volunteers to staff our hotline.
- Are you empathetic, compassionate person that is looking to help others?
- Volunteer advocates support and empower domestic violence survivors and give them hope.
- Skills needed: listening, empathy and open mindedness, the desire to help others, the ability to with hold judgement, and the ability to retain confidentiality.
- At least 15 hours of training provided and ongoing continuous support provided.
Alternative Horizons next in person training will be May September 15, 16, and 23. If an in-person training does not work for you we can do a self-paced online training, over a couple of weeks. To be a volunteer hotline advocate for domestic violence requires 16 or more hours of training.
If you or anyone you know is experiencing domestic violence, please call our free and confidential 24-Hour hotline 970-247-9619.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About ALTERNATIVE HORIZONS CORPORATION
PO BOX 503, DURANGO, CO 81302, US
Serving La Plata and San Juan Counties, the mission of Alternative Horizons is to provide support and alternatives to survivors of domestic violence and their families while striving to strengthen our community through education and prevention outreach. Domestic violence, also known as intimate-partner abuse, knows no boundaries of gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity or socioeconomics. We strive to be open, inclusive, and helpful toward survivors from all walks of life.
We offer a 24-hour hotline staffed by volunteers; bilingual weekly support groups for women and children; court advocacy in criminal court and legal assistance for divorce and child-custody cases through our Bridges of Hope legal project; and education and outreach to the community as well as to middle-school and high-school students.
701 Camino Del RioDurango, CO 81301
May 4, 2023
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Social Work
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteers will be provided with training of at least 16 hours. Also, will be asked to take 4 shifts a month a and commit to a year. This is flexible depending on how much time you want to commit.
- empathy, compassion, listening skills, non-judgmental thinking,