Hospice Hounds (pet therapy): Hutchinson and surrounding
ORGANIZATION: Ecumen Hospice
Please visit the new page to apply.
HOSPICE HOUNDS volunteers are a registered* therapy animal and their human teammate provide a calming, friendly presence, and are known to reduce stress and anxiety.
If you have a furry friend that brings joy everywhere you go, this is the position for you! If your pet is already registered through a pet therapy program, you can apply immediately to become an Ecumen Hospice Hounds team volunteer. While dogs are the most common animal to join our Hospice Hounds teams, we are open to all therapy pets!
Our hospice services are provided wherever one calls home, which could include a private home or care community, such as assisted living, memory care and skilled nursing facilities.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
First, ask yourself:
- Are you at least 18 years old?
- Do you have a registered therapy animal*?
- Can you commit to a minimum of four hours a month for six months?
- Are you comfortable with death and the dying process, or have an openness and willingness to learn?
- Are you dependable and able to work independently?
If yes to all of the above, the following are steps to getting involved, typically taking 3-4 weeks to complete:
- Interview with a member of our volunteer services team
- Submit to background and reference checks
- Complete online training, at your own pace
- Attend virtual wrap-up session
OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU
- A flexible schedule at a location that is convenient for you
- Consistent and accessible staff support
- Provided PPE and infection control training
- Ongoing guidance and education to ensure you are comfortable and effective in your role
- Ability to take a leave of absence at any time
For more information: please visit our website at www.ecumenhospice.org/volunteers or call us at 651-714-0200
*If you have a pet that you think would make a great therapy animal, but is not yet registered, below are a few organizations you can contact to get that process started. There are others in the area, so feel free to do your research and find one that fits your schedule, location, needs and budget. Make sure to tell them you’d like to become an Ecumen Hospice volunteer once you’re done!
- Therapy Dogs International: http://tdi-dog.org/
- Pet Partners: https://petpartners.org/
- The Alliance of Therapy Dogs: www.therapydogs.com
About Ecumen Hospice
3530 Lexington Ave N, Shoreview, MN 55126, Shoreview, MN 55126, US
Ecumen advocates for older adults, providing housing choices, compassionate healthcare, and innovative services to support connected, fulfilled lives.
Volunteers are an important part of our multi-disciplinary team, offering comfort, support, friendship and presence to our patients and their families at an important stage of life. As a volunteer, you can make an impact with a few hours of your time a month and your willingness to be present during someone’s final days.
Volunteer roles: Companion, Vigil, Hospice Hounds (registered therapy animal), Veteran to Veteran, Sunshine Cards and Administrative. Have another skill you'd like to share, please let us know!
Service Area: We serve patients in their residence, which may include private homes, skilled nursing, assisted living, or independent living facilities. We have five branches, which serves most of Minnesota (https://www.ecumen.org/hospice/service-area/)
203 North Armstrong AvenueLitchfield, MN 55355
September 9, 2022
- Animal Therapy
- Bereavement Support
- Hospice Care
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Satisfactorily completes Ecumen Hospice volunteer training and passes TB test.